Esteemed Contributor

SHOULD I REFRIGERATE MY OMEGAS ?

We will be heading north for the summer and I am wondering if I should stick my Lessman's huge omega container in the refrigerator.  I don't need to take the whole container with us.  We keep our AC at 80 degrees while we are away.  I would hate to have them spoil or go rancid.  It is too much $$ to lose.  On the other hand would refrigeration effect them?

What is your opinion?

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOULD I REFRIGERATE MY OMEGAS ?

[ Edited ]

Placing any kind of natural oil or butter in the fridge will not harm them. 

Heat and light will breakdown most oils.

FYI - Omega-3 supplements don't do anything for your health.

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/omega3/introduction.htm#hed5

Honored Contributor

This list from University of California at San Diego says to store them in the refrigerator or in a cool dark place. They have not provided citations so I can’t say what their advice is based on. Check it out.https://wellness.ucsd.edu/studenthealth/Documents/nutrition/omega3supp.pdf

Honored Contributor

I don’t use Andrew Lessman, but I do keep both my flax oil and cod liver oil capsules in the refrigerator.  The flax oil recommends on the label to “Refrigerate for Quality”.

Honored Contributor

Andrew says the do not need to be refrigerated.

Since you are going to be gone with the temp left at 80° I would call his CS & ask what they think?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some people actually freeze their fish oil caps to help prevent burping up fish taste....

It works like enteric coated fish oil  people take for the same reason.

As far as taking Omega 3 oils, no one seems to know for sure if it helps any heath issues or not.....they go back and forth on it being  good and  then the next day it's worthless.

I choose to take a fish and flax soft gel combination.

Honored Contributor

I keep the large bottles in my basement where it's cool and just keep a 2 week supply in my kitchen.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Our Ultra Omega softgels are package in a brown glass bottle.  They are stored in a cabinet on the opposite end of the kitchen from the stove/oven.  We keep our home at a moderate temperature all year long. Storing them in the refrigerator has never occurred to me.  I doubt the warehouse they came from is refrigerated. That said, the pure wild caught salmon oil we give our pets comes in a 32oz. brown pump bottle.  Once it’s opened I do keep that in the fridge.