Honored Contributor

SENSIBLE SHELTER-IN-PLACE GUIDELINES (now in effect in SF Bay Area)

[ Edited ]

https://sf.gov/stay-home-except-essential-needs

You may have heard that San Francisco, CA and surrounding counties have put a shelter-in-place order into effect.

Here are just a few highlights from the site:

- The City issued a Public Health Order requiring people to stay home except for essential needs.

- Vulnerable populations must stay home. Everyone should stay home except to get food, care for a relative or friend, get necessary health care, or go to an essential job. 

- It is OK to go outside for walks if you are not in a group.

- Stay at least 6 feet apart when leaving your home for essential activities.

- This order is in effect until April 7.

It may be extended depending on recommendations from public health officials.

How long will we stay home?

This goes into effect on Tuesday, March 17, 2020. It is currently set to last for 3 weeks through Tuesday, April 7, 2020.

Can I leave home to visit friends or family members if there is no urgent need?

No. For your safety as well as their safety, we need to help each other fight the spread of COVID-19 by staying at home. 

Should I stock up on food, necessities like toilet paper, and on medicines?

No. You will continue to be able to purchase these items whenever you need them, as stores selling necessary items like grocery stores, pharmacies, and hardware stores will remain open.

Continue to buy normal quantities of these items on the same schedule you normally do. This will ensure that there is enough for everyone.  

Can I still get deliveries from online stores? Can I order from online stores?

Yes. The mail and other delivery services to your home can continue to function, as can food delivery services. 

Yes, you can place more orders from online stores. Businesses that deliver goods or services directly to residences are essential businesses that may continue to operate.

What if I need to get healthcare from my medical provider?

You can still get your health needs addressed. Contact your health care provider to see if they are providing regular services. Some services, especially elective procedures, may be postponed or canceled.

If you are feeling sick, please first call your doctor, a nurse hotline, or an urgent care center. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SENSIBLE SHELTER-IN-PLACE GUIDELINES (now in effect in SF Bay Area)

You had me at sensible....

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach -That's what people need-clear cut guidelines. Thank you.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I disagree with the not needing to stock up on necessities part.  There hasn't been any toilet paper where I live since last Wednesday, cold supplies aisle empty, no santizers or Clorox wipes.  On a mad dash through the store I was able to snag a large Windex refill jug and one of the last small bottles of bleach, and laundry detergent. I haven't left the house except to walk outside since then.

No tissues, paper towels, etc.  We might have been restocked on food but via social media I know we have no paper products and no santizing products.  People are trying to find camping toilet paper.

Esteemed Contributor

I really hope people start to heed the advice about staying 6 feet or so away from other people.

Where I live, they seem to NOT understand that concept, or they just ignore it about everytime I have gone somewhere.

Respected Contributor

Im disgusted with all the dumb people that dont seem to take this seriously.