Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone want to join me in a weight loss goal Starting January 1, 2018?

What a great idea, I'm in!  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

This is a great idea, and I love the start date as the first day of the new year. This gives us time to gear up and research options and figure out how we might want to approach it, even try out some habit changes (food choices, prep, portion control, counts, etc.).

I hope you post tickler reminders, and weekly wouldn't be too often as the holidays start making things hectic, IMO. I'm putting it in my calendar now, so ready or not, I'll be on board on 1/1/18.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, how will we report this.  On line on this forum.  Just remind us please.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann    I will post a thread every now and then as you say as "a tickler" to keep it in everyone's minds.  Good idea! 

The couple of months prior to Jan first  can be good as you stated  for  preparing your mindset to know what you plan to do to achieve the GOAL.  I hope we can cheer each other on...even when some weeks  of our loss  journey  are not too good....and share inspiring ideas, recipes and such to help keep us on track.  

Have a great Sunday Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Hi ladies, I started this at the end of this past January and I've lost 30 pounds.  So, I'm a little ahead of you but I'd still like to join the party.  I'll work on maintenance if that's ok with you all.

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Honored Contributor

@RockChalkJayhawk wrote:

Hi ladies, I started this at the end of this past January and I've lost 30 pounds.  So, I'm a little ahead of you but I'd still like to join the party.  I'll work on maintenance if that's ok with you all.

@Jayhawk Girl  BRAVO!👏🏻 Good for you! I hope you will share your story about your weight loss journey with everyone on the thread. How inspirational! 🙂

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@RockChalkJayhawk wrote:

@Jayhawk Girl  BRAVO!👏🏻 Good for you! I hope you will share your story about your weight loss journey with everyone on the thread. How inspirational! 🙂

I'm happy to share.  I didn't really diet but I tried to eat in moderation, especially sweets which I love.  My biggest change was that I got off my butt and started exercising.  I've been doing a homemade version of Zumba and it's really working for me.  I shake my groove thing for 8700 steps and I am amazed at the results.

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I'm so glad you posted this now!  What a great idea to get our collective minds and bodies ready!

In 2016, my Neuro placed me on Depakote and I gained 38 freaking pounds that I simply cannot get off of me.  Am really looking forward to your Jan 1, 2018 start date.

Do you have a name for the effort/group?

(We have a now 18 year old family friend who was placed on the same medication as a late 16 year old and she gained 36 pounds - and was active on her high school swim team to boot!  This medication was horrid - as it turned on your brain's hunger center.  So...every day your brain was telling you "Eat, eat, eat."  I swear it was worse than nicotine!)

Again, thanks for starting this great group!

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@SeaMaiden

I'm so glad you posted this now!  What a great idea to get our collective minds and bodies ready!

In 2016, my Neuro placed me on Depakote and I gained 38 freaking pounds that I simply cannot get off of me.  Am really looking forward to your Jan 1, 2018 start date.

Do you have a name for the effort/group?

(We have a now 18 year old family friend who was placed on the same medication as a late 16 year old and she gained 36 pounds - and was active on her high school swim team to boot!  This medication was horrid - as it turned on your brain's hunger center.  So...every day your brain was telling you "Eat, eat, eat."  I swear it was worse than nicotine!)

Again, thanks for starting this great group!

@sfnative  I am so glad you will join the group!  I  need to give it some thought as far as a name for the group... Suggestions are always welcome!  

My gain happened after my last joint replacement in 2015.   I think also  having turned 62 has a lot to do with my weight gain over the last couple of years. I think it is tied to a  metabolism issue with getting older.... as my diet is really very good and I make it a habit to walk a couple miles everyday...... I carry weight  Mostly my tummy... I never had a tummy and I hate it.    Smiley Sad

So you are not alone . and we all have different reasons  for why we are holding extra weight.   I think just being accountable for whatever the reason... and trying to address the issue in a healthy way is a good goal. Really looking a portion sizes.... that is something I need to do. Even eating healthy, a calorie is a calorie and too much of a healthy food is not good either. 

Take care and have a great week ahead!   Smiley Happy 

Trusted Contributor

SeaMaiden -  You have my attention.   This sounds like a wonderful idea.   I have more than 20 lbs. to loose (was on the depo shot -  that was 20lbs, and quit smoking -  that was a good 15lbs) so yes, I am in.

I am looking forward to everyones helpful hints.

For the group name -  The Dazzling  Dames  - Okay, not the greatest idea, but a start.  I will have to keep thinking on it.