Frequent Contributor

SAVI brachytherapy catheter for breast cancer

I have an option of doing radiation treatments for breast cancer by using a SAVI Brachytherapy catheter.  Has anybody on this forum gone this route?  If so, did you have any issues with it? Any experiences or advice that you would  like to share with someone who is maybe about to go down this path?  Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SAVI brachytherapy catheter for breast cancer

I have no advice on your question here but god bless you and sending hugs your way. ❤️🙏

Honored Contributor

Whatever path you take, here's hoping for the best final outcome!! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cornicopia wrote:

I have an option of doing radiation treatments for breast cancer by using a SAVI Brachytherapy catheter.  Has anybody on this forum gone this route?  If so, did you have any issues with it? Any experiences or advice that you would  like to share with someone who is maybe about to go down this path?  Thanks!

@cornicopia    No experience....but, have  you researched this option...pros and  cons?  Here is a write up by Breastcancer.org  on the subject. I am sure you asked your doctor many questions.  Whatever you decide...wishing you peace in that decision and the best outcome❤️

https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/20111219

Honored Contributor

SAVI is a catheter used to guide the delivery of High Dose-Rate (HDR) Brachytherapy to the breast after a lumpectomy. Because it works from the inside, you can receive a higher daily dose of radiation and reduce your treatment time from several weeks to just five days. brachytherapy is a seed of the rads that goes directly into the area of the cancer

I had breast cancer in my left breast. Opted for mastectomy instead of lumpectomy. So I had the traditional 5 months of chemo and then 33 days of radiation. Was not a ride in the park but my chemo experience wasn't nearly as bad as some I have heard of, neither was the radiation. But.....I would definitely look into this treatment and  ask as many questions as possible. Man----if I could have eliminated all those many days for just a few, I probaby woud have. Had cancer in 2012. Am doing very well today. 

Research is the key and asking many.many questions!!!  Good luck and visit the cancer board too, lots of good people with lots of experience. 

Esteemed Contributor

@cornicopia   I had breast cancer also in 2014.  Lumpectomy, chemo  and radiation. 

7 weeks of radiation  (minus weekends)  If I could cut that down as @wagirl stated I would as it is exhausting.   Whatever you decide I wish you the best........keep in mind they are improving treatments all the time.  In my case I would probably not have made it if I had my cancer 5 years earlier.   Blessings to you both.

Trusted Contributor

@cornicopia   No advice, but sending love, hugs, prayers and blessings to you Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@cornicopia 

I highly recommend that you post this question on the community boards at breastcancer.org.  There is a board that deals specifically with "treatment."

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Contributor

I had breast cancer in 2010.  The hardest decision for me was wether to use the cather type for one week or to use standard radiation for 6 weeks.  I was working at the time.  At the time I was diagnosed I believe the catheter was pretty new.  My cancer was small and detected early with no lymph node involvement.  I chose the catheter and it was a breeze.  As I remember I went in in for 5 days.  I followed up with medication for 5 years..  You must choose what is best for you and don't look back.  Both can be very effective.

Respected Contributor

I had the standard radiation two years ago. I think I would have been interested in the catheter and shorter treatment also.