Regular Contributor

Re: Rust on bike... advice on how to remove

@bonnielu --- go to any good hardware store and ask for "naval jelly."   Odd name, but removing rust is what the product is for.  Lots of brands make it, including RustOleum.

DO NOT attempt to do the clean up inside.  Use the jelly either in your garage or outside somewhere.....the jelly removes rust via phosphoric acid. 

Then just wash off with a good soap, allow to dry WELL, and then re-paint (you said the bike was white) or, if on chrome, apply a good coat of paste wax and buff out.

Respected Contributor

@forest4thetrees wrote:

@bonnielu --- go to any good hardware store and ask for "naval jelly."   Odd name, but removing rust is what the product is for.  Lots of brands make it, including RustOleum.

DO NOT attempt to do the clean up inside.  Use the jelly either in your garage or outside somewhere.....the jelly removes rust via phosphoric acid. 

Then just wash off with a good soap, allow to dry WELL, and then re-paint (you said the bike was white) or, if on chrome, apply a good coat of paste wax and buff out.

This is good unless your bike part is made of aluminum.  If that's the case then you want something like DuPont 225S aluminum cleaner.

You can also make a paste of baking soda and water and let it sit for a few minutes then hose it good.

Honored Contributor

@Financialgrl,  If I am going to drink a soda, Coke is my first choice.  I am still here!  It is scary though.  LOL

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Rub gently with fine grade sandpaper.   

Honored Contributor

I just googled, "What's the best way to remove rust" and pages came up.

I started to post some of the sites and there were so many.  It's best if you go to the page and figure out what YOU want to use.  There are many products out there.

My late husband used a liquid rust remover for everything.  I think most are effective.

Esteemed Contributor

THANKS EVERYONE. AFTER IT STOPS RAINING I WILL HUNT DOWN SOME STUFF TO USE.  

Frequent Contributor

I had the same rust issue with a Trek bike that was in garage for 4 years without use.  The handlebars started to rust.  I wanted to sell bike as it was my late husbands and I could not ride a man's bike safely.  Looked on line as many things I tried did nothing.  What DID work was taking a piece of tinfoil crumbled and dipped in water.  Rub on chrome until rust disappears.  Did not take much elbow grease and no it did not scratch the surface either.  Actually polished it quite nicely.  Bike solf fast!  Good luck.

Regular Contributor

Coke rubbed in with tin foil.

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Financialgrl,  If I am going to drink a soda, Coke is my first choice.  I am still here!  It is scary though.  LOL

Me too, always been a Coke girl but after all the warnings these days about what soda does to us I rarely drink anymore.  I've learned (took awhile) to drink tons of water a day!

Respected Contributor

Search Youtube. They have hacks for almost everything..