Honored Contributor

Re: Rough Airplane Landing: Huge Pain Now Where Fusion Occurred

On 9/24/2014 sfnative said:

UPDATE:

Hello Everyone,

First, I'd like to thank everyone for replying with wonderful advice and kind words.

Having gone to the doctor mid-morning, I was surprised to already receive the radiology results and treatment plan.

My fusion hardward remains intact and was not misplaced by even a portion of a millimeter. I did not sustain a compression fracture, which runs on my Dad's side of the family, as in everyone over the age of 65 starts getting them, so yea!

Basically that rough landing flared my back badly at and around the surgical site and I will have physical therapy to help the healing process. Since I cannot take NSAIDs, I am keen to try Lidoderm patches which Katmary suggested.

Again, thanks so very much to everyone.

God Bless - Rebecca

sfnative,

Thanks for the update. Knowing everything is in the right place makes me feel a lot better. While I have a couple issues with my back one of them is not stenosis. Doing heavy type of work I can only sustain it for a much shorter period of time than in past years. I know when my back reaches a certain point, and I plant my butt in one of our lounge chairs.

In about 10 minutes, after some stretching and resting, I can go back to what I was doing once again. For me it is kinda like when I was doing interval training when I was running road races. Work for X amount of time/rest for Z amount of time, and then off I go again.

Still have to sleep in a lounge chair. I have tried the bed numerous times and it just ain't gonna happen for me. Can take about an hour and any longer than that? Takes all I can do to get out of the bed and then comes the standing up and straightening up part.

Keep on getting better and stay well,

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

sfnative, Good to hear your instrumentation is intact. Hopefully the patches will help you! I'm just feeling better after a sudden slip on wet grass and hard landing. Very bad pain w/spasms in May and June with parathesia to the point of burning. I had PT for 3-4 weeks and the stim they hook me up to helped some. PT used hydrocolater pack on my back as well - felt awesome. I was very concerned about my cage and I have stenosis as well. It has taken 4 months now to taper off the spasms around the scar tissue. The muscle relaxers helped a lot but also knock me out so I take them at night! Take things easy and baby your back. Feel better soon!

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/24/2014 moonstone dunes said:

sfnative, Good to hear your instrumentation is intact. Hopefully the patches will help you! I'm just feeling better after a sudden slip on wet grass and hard landing. Very bad pain w/spasms in May and June with parathesia to the point of burning. I had PT for 3-4 weeks and the stim they hook me up to helped some. PT used hydrocolater pack on my back as well - felt awesome. I was very concerned about my cage and I have stenosis as well. It has taken 4 months now to taper off the spasms around the scar tissue. The muscle relaxers helped a lot but also knock me out so I take them at night! Take things easy and baby your back. Feel better soon!

4 months...oh gosh that is entirely too long. 4 months will take me into the middle of cold, icy and maybe snowy winter. Not exactly perfect weather for loosening up a tight back. hahahahaha.

Your fall sounded nasty. May you be blessed with a vertical life, unless sleeping! Again, thank you for our advice.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/24/2014 hckynut said:
On 9/24/2014 sfnative said:

UPDATE:

Hello Everyone,

First, I'd like to thank everyone for replying with wonderful advice and kind words.

Having gone to the doctor mid-morning, I was surprised to already receive the radiology results and treatment plan.

My fusion hardward remains intact and was not misplaced by even a portion of a millimeter. I did not sustain a compression fracture, which runs on my Dad's side of the family, as in everyone over the age of 65 starts getting them, so yea!

Basically that rough landing flared my back badly at and around the surgical site and I will have physical therapy to help the healing process. Since I cannot take NSAIDs, I am keen to try Lidoderm patches which Katmary suggested.

Again, thanks so very much to everyone.

God Bless - Rebecca

sfnative,

Thanks for the update. Knowing everything is in the right place makes me feel a lot better. While I have a couple issues with my back one of them is not stenosis. Doing heavy type of work I can only sustain it for a much shorter period of time than in past years. I know when my back reaches a certain point, and I plant my butt in one of our lounge chairs.

In about 10 minutes, after some stretching and resting, I can go back to what I was doing once again. For me it is kinda like when I was doing interval training when I was running road races. Work for X amount of time/rest for Z amount of time, and then off I go again.

Still have to sleep in a lounge chair. I have tried the bed numerous times and it just ain't gonna happen for me. Can take about an hour and any longer than that? Takes all I can do to get out of the bed and then comes the standing up and straightening up part.

Keep on getting better and stay well,

Thank you, John, for your kind words. Am glad you have had your sleeping arrangements worked out for some time. Of late, I'm not at all comfortable in my latex bed, so wonder if I'm headed to my recliner...

Respected Contributor

sfnative, what a big relief for you to know the cage is intact. I wish you well with the P.T. now so you can feel better again.Smile

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/25/2014 Mama Mia said:

sfnative, what a big relief for you to know the cage is intact. I wish you well with the P.T. now so you can feel better again.Smile

mm

Thank you, Mama Mia. We're waiting for insurance to approve the PT, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Also, Katmary, I wrote that email to my doc and she has forwarded an rx for the patches to my pharmacy. She did say, however, that many insurances don't pay for them, so will have to wait and see. In my email I gave her a litany of inflammation and pain I'm experiencing that would otherwise benefit from an NSAID, but I can't take them, so asked if she would prescribe a Medrol pack, which she said she would. I can't wait to start on that pack! I know that at least for a week or more, most of the stuff that's really hurting won't hurt. It's kind of like looking forward to vacation!

God Bless you all - Rebecca