Respected Contributor

Re: Rotator cuff/shoulder/arm pain anyone familiar with this?

I have had this problem and the pain is horrible.  But, when I asked the doctor if there was something else I could do, in my case, he said no.  I had the surgery and PT and my shoulder was better than the other side.  The only inconvenience I had was that it was my left shoulder and I am left-handed.  It was a riot trying to write with my right hand.  Please listen to your doctor and don't take advise from any of us.  Everyone is different.

Valued Contributor

Hi.  I am 8 weeks 1 day post op for:

torn labrum type 1

torn labrum type 4

bone spur

torn biceps tendon

torn supraspinatus/rotator cuff

I spent the 1st 2 weeks in a sling and cryo cuff (an ice sleeve).  At 15 days, I was sent to PT, which has been a Godsend.  The recovery isn't for the faint of heart.  It will take about a year to completely heal.  I am still having pain, but it isn't constant.  I have been upgraded to using a 1 pound hand weight for some exercises.  My range of motion is slightly better now than prior to surgery, but its only been 8 weeks.  I do not regret my decision to have the surgery.

Wishing you the best.

Frequent Contributor

My husband had rotator cuff surgery about 8years ago. His was completely torn and he is an avid golfer so deciding to have the surgery was necessary.. He was very faithful in doing physical therapy and was back to golfing in about 8 months. Best wishes in whatever you decide to do.

Esteemed Contributor

I had rotator cuff surgery many years ago.  Hurt my shoulder dancing.  I spent two years and tried everything, cortizone, therapy, chiropractic, and nothing helped.  I had the surgery and I have no pain at all.  Mine got so bad that the bursa sack dried up and they had to remove part of my bone because when I lifted my arm the bones were hitting.  I am completely pain free and never had a issue after it.  Good Luck with your decision

Honored Contributor

@Hooty   There are so many things that could actually be wrong in the shoulder area that may not at all be with rotator cuff. You need the results from your MRI to find out exactly what's ailing you. 

Surgery is always the last thing your Dr will suggest. They'll go with PT first, they may even talk about a cortizone shot(s) which usually does help which you'd get prior to PT only to ease the pain enough to give you flexibility to do PT.

Keep us posted as to what the MRI shows.

Honored Contributor

Wow, thank you all for your stories!  Yes, I am anxious to get my results of the MRI, but unfortunately my Dr.'s office is lacking in the area, and if I have not heard by Monday (6/3) I will be giving them a call!

Esteemed Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

Thanks everyone for your answers, I think I might have to find this Stop Pain  cream

@Hooty 

I  get it from  Amazon  and on  auto delivery  <3  I have been using it for every pain I get ,anywhere and everywhere  for years . It is a convienent ,ROLL ON       Smiley Happy

QVC used to sell it but not sure if they still do.

Honored Contributor

I finally heard from my MRI, I have a full thickness tear in my rotator cuff, very disappointed in what to do!

Honored Contributor

Update on my torn rotator cuff:  The cortisone shot I had did not help, so my only option is to have surgery, I will be having Arthroscopic Surgery next Wednesday, June 26th, I am nervous, but after talking to my surgeon, he explained everything to me, and I feel better now!

Esteemed Contributor

@Hooty 

Hi hooty,

Just dropped by to wish you well and healing blessings after your surgery.

Will be thinking of you.  XXX