Valued Contributor

Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery--Can anyone give me tips?

[ Edited ]

@riley1  @sfnative

Everyone's tips have been great, she is an ANGEL for sure!!  Thank you for saying that about the recliner.  I just don't want to have to purchase one!!!

Thank you again!!

Esteemed Contributor

@highmaintenancejan

Hi Jan,

Before I head to bed, wanted to get back to you with regard to  the few days pre-op and day of surgery.

Since I don't know you, wanted to mention that if you are prone to being anxious about things, worry a lot or have panic attacks, you may experience an increace in the symptoms prior to your surgery.  Let's face it: we all become at least a little wired prior to a procedure.  If, however, you feel as though you're spinning out of control and into a panic attack, please do call your surgeon's office, telling them exactly what's going on and that you need to be medicated to bring you down off the ceiling.

The day of the surgery stay positive and focus on the fact that you're taking the step required to bring you into the "pain-free-zone" down the line.  Do deep breathing exercises.  Relax your shoulders (be aware of your trapezius muscules, jaw muscles and eyebrows/forehead).  Check on these areas frequently.  If you notice that they're "tight," relax them.  Do this quite often.

Also, bring something to do, just in case your surgeon gets held up in surgery.  Even though the nurses will be in and out to check on you and the anesthesiologist willl drop in to meet with you, bring a book, tablet, knitting, crochet, whatever you can as a distraction, if that will help.  Remember: no cell phones in pre-op areas.

Don't know what time your procedure is scheduled for, but the reality is that if it's after 9-10 a.m., your chances of a delay are compounded as each hour passes.  It is what it is.  You may be fortunate and your surgeon may be able to coast through each case.  However, that is often not the case, as there will usually be a slight to moderate complication arise during someone's surgery.  You just never know.  Just wanted to share this fact with you, so that if the timeline gets out of whack, you will at least have been forewarned that this sometimes occurs.

In recovery, a nurse WILL WAKE YOU UP.  You may not wish to wake up.  It's sometimes kind of funny, but do try to wake up, as a number of assessments must be made as to your state.  Try to focus and answer questions to the best of your ability.  Some people's bodies process anesthesia well and others do not handle it well.  Just hang loose and if you need your nurse, she'll be quite close.  In Recovery, the nurse/patient ratio is quite small. 

After you've passed muster in recovery, you'll be held for 2 or so hours, if you're at a Surgical Center for same day surgery.  If you're being released on the same day, make sure you are not feeling nauseated.  If you are, tell your nurse (they should have asked you this question several times).  However, it's important that you let them know if you are nauseated, because they will administer medication.  What you don't want to do is to becomce car sick on the way home.  It happens and that's why I'm impressing this upon you.

Remember:  When dressing to go home, let your husband and the nurse do all the work.  You're not to do any of it. And don't mind one bit what you look like.  Just put on a nice big pair of sunglasses.

Hope you are having a decent week.  I'm concerned that you're not getting much sleep and wonder if your surgeon or PCP has prescribed anything to help you sleep.

Also, here on the west coast, there's a horrible bronchitis going around.  Do stay away from sick friends and relatives.  If you learn of someone with an illness and that they plan a visit, thank them, but ask them to re-schedule the visit, as the last thing you don't need is a horrible case of bronchitis that will cause you to have to postpone your surgery.  *Starting 10 days prior to surgery, limit your visits to large public venues like malls and restaurants to avoid contact with people who are ill.

Well, it's late here and I'm off to bed.  Hope the remainder of the week goes well for you.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative

Speaking of anxiety of and panic , I still have 3 weeks to go and only slept 3 hours last night....I'm really a mess.  I wish I would have scheduled the surgery for next week!!  I have Xanax and Ambien, but they are not working...I'm just beyond that!

Occasional Contributor

You've gotten so much good advice since I last checked in, so there's not a whole lot to add, but that won't stop me!  LOL  I know it's scary to have to anticipate surgery, but my best defense against the anxiety is to remind myself that I will be asleep during the actual surgery, and medicated after. Also, that I chose the surgeon for his skill, and that this is NOT his first rodeo!  Also, they wouldn't do these things as outpatient surgery if they didn't have a high degree of success and high level of safety at doing them that way.   I don't know if any of those are helpful thoughts for you, but if they are, feel free to use them.

Re recliners:  everyone is absolutely right--if this is your right shoulder, you will not be able to operate the crank.  I got mine for knee replacements, so I wasn't going to go out and get a different one with electronic controls. Eventually, I learned to get it open and crawl into it, and then I crawled over the side to get out.  But if you don't want one, don't do it.  Your chair with the ottoman may not be optimal, but it will probably work just fine, and be much easier to get in and out of.

For my knee surgery, I purchased the ice machine that someone showed a picture of a few pages back--the blue one that looks like (and is, I think) an Igloo cooler with a motor on it.  It was not covered by insurance, but was well worth it; it worked beautifully.  The Game Ready was used on my knees and shoulders in those respective surgeries while at PT, and it was awesome--the favorite part of any session.

If you haven't opted for a mesh shower sling, what my PT people had me do was drill a hole in the bottom of a 2 liter soft drink bottle, and thread ribbon through it, to create a shower immobilizer sling.  Of course, they didn't tell me about it until I was at the point I could use it, and I live by myself, and it is NOT a one-person project (though I managed it through sheer determination, because I was desperate to get really clean!).  I bagged eye makeup because I couldn't do it, and likely bagged bras for the early stages, opting for a cami with a loose shirt on top.  Oh, and I used the Living Proof dry shampoo, and thought it was awesome.

One other thing about shoulder rehab:  your improvements will continue for up to 3-4 years after surgery.  I didn't believe it when the surgeon told me this, but realized recently, three  years out, that I can now hyperextend my arms behind my back (something I was able to do before the injury and not after for a log time).  I suspect that fastening my bra was my daily continued PT that got me there!

Did we all already tell you to premedicate about 1 1/2 hours before PT?  Do it, until you can tell how you will handle the pain and discomfort.  IF the medications make you itch (it's a common side-effect with opioids), take a Benadryl with the pain med.

Okay, enough of my covering old ground.  Best of luck to you!  And try to get some sleep.

Valued Contributor

@ownsyjay

I appreciate each and every comment...everyone offers a new tip!!! But, I don't like to hear...3 years!!  

I did order a mesh sling from Amazon....I figure bras will just be impossible....

Thank you for your input!!  I HAVE GOT TO RELAX!!  How?  I don't know!!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, you do need to relax!  Impossible?  Feels like it, I know but you have 2 weeks to wait and you don't want to stay so anxious so long.  This is the hardest part or it was for me.  Try to think about when it is all over and you are whole again!

@sfnative has been wonderful.  We need more people like her in this world.  She has told you pretty much what to expect.  Just remember that most of it, you won't remember!  You will still be "out of it" but able to answer questions!  Pain memories fade quickly!   

Are you having outpatient surgery?

You will do fine, no matter what!  Surgery today is 'just another day at the office' to a surgeon.  It has advanced so much.  I didn't have the tube in my throat, just a small tube in my nose...hardly noticeable.   The other meds all go through one port!  So much easier than it was just a few years ago. 

One stick and done!  As soon as they put in the one port (easy) they will give you a "don't care" med and the rest of the day will be a faint memory.  From then on pain pills take care of you!  See, it's all over with, just that easily!

Have a great day!

P.S, Do you have an animal?  Make a way to keep it from jumping up on you.   Your red chair and a pillow look very comfortable!

Valued Contributor

@ownsyjay

Did you have a simple partial tear?  Or something more complicated?  You are scaring me..

Esteemed Contributor

I do agree that taking a pain med before PT is the answer to faster success.  I have had PT, for different reasons, several times.  One was my left wrist surgery and a lot of the same problems you will face, I faced.  One of mine was a bad automobile accident.  However, I have been pain free and pain pill free for years now!  It was all worth it.  

When the time comes, you won't worry as much about the makeup.  You will be too busy!  I'm sure you are really just as beautiful without it and the few people you will see will love you without it as much as they do with it!  

Honored Contributor

I doubt if anyone will see this but Lazy Boy does sell an adapter of some sort that enables someone to change the lever to the other side.  I don’t know how well it works.

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I doubt if anyone will see this but Lazy Boy does sell an adapter of some sort that enables someone to change the lever to the other side.  I don’t know how well it works.

@tansy, that's a great suggestion and I had no idea they had adaptors.  I am lucky because our loveseat recliner (not lazyboy) has a button you push on the inside of the arm and it's plugged into the wall so it works easily for me.

OT a bit, my new "toy" arrived today; need to get the instructions out and read/practice, ugh.  Thanks again so much for your help.