Honored Contributor

Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery--Can anyone give me tips?

@highmaintenancejan wrote:

@tansy

Why can't you just use the good hand and arm?

Because my old ‘bad’ arm is now my ‘good’ arm.  

@highmaintenancejan

Valued Contributor

@ceekay

Thank you so much!!  All of the information is helpful!!  I hadn't heard about the mesh shower sling.  Also, did your husband use a recliner chair.  That is the one thing I don't have and is a LARGE purchase!!!  Also, we women have a much harder time with our hair and makeup!!  Darn it all!  And, it is my dominant hand!!  Waaa!!!

Valued Contributor

@tansy

?????????????

Honored Contributor

Two separate falls required two shoulder replacements.  The last one was on my dominant side.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy

OMG!!  I am so sorry!!  I have two tears...mine are just because of old age and calcium deposits in each shoulder!! UGH!!!

Give me tips on facing the second surgery!!  I just don't know how I'm going to do it???

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Libbylady wrote:

I had this surgery 6 years ago and unfortunately had to have emergency surgery 5 weeks later for a perforated ulcer.  The shoulder surgery recovery was hard but each day I looked for improvement where I could.

I wanted to pass along 2 tips for someone facing surgery.  The first is to really take your rehab seriously.  Some of the exercises may seem silly, but do them every day as if your life depends on it, because it will!

The other tip is an item called a "Bottom Buddy"!  It will be your best friend!

I found it on the computer, and I have given one to any friend facing a surgery where bathroom issues are a possibility.  Not as pretty as flowers, but so practical!

That unfortunately named Bottom Buddy is very helpful.  Amazon carries it.

@tansy, I saw the BB mentioned and looked it up; there are also some others by different names too.  My shoulder replacement was done on my dominant arm and I'm really thinking about getting one.  Is the BB the name brand one you would recommend? . If so, is there a learning curve to using it the first few times? 

Thanks for any info you can share.   

Honored Contributor

@HisElk1 — I wasn’t up for much research at the time😏.  The occupational therapist at the hospital mentioned the product by name and I ordered it.  It’s easy enough to figure out.  Baby wipes work better than TP.  

Your story made me wince in sympathy.

Valued Contributor

@tansy

Why is the $33 one better than the $12 one?

Thank you...

Esteemed Contributor

@highmaintenancejan

Hi Jan,

Noticed that you signed off with the statement that you're a wreck.  That's certainly understandable!  Let's see if we can place things in perspective and get a practical list going.  And, yes, I retired from the medical field, with 75% involvement in Ortho.  OK, let's get going.

1.  Ice Machine:  At least this is a given and you know you'll have one.  It sounds quite inexpensive, so if it gives you any problems, contact the Game Ready folks and they will get you a rental unit ASAP.

2.  Stages:  Get yourself a notebook, notepad or some binder paper and make a list of things to do and things to procure.

A.  Pre-op:  You're in this phase now.  (1)  do all assigned reading, etc., relative to your surgery and rehab;  (2)  write down questions you have based on reading and prior appointments with your dr, PA or nurse and ask those questions prior to surgery.  If you don't have another appt prior to surgery, call the doc's nurse and get answers;  (3)  Clothing:  sounds as though you have a decent grasp on what is going to work for you. As you move forward, make sure to purchase bras which fasten in front!;  (4)  T-Bar:  Is your husband handy?  If he isn't or you know someone who is, I would highly recommend that person making what I'm going to describe.  I'll take a photo of it later and load it on here, as I just thought of it.  Take a 31" piece of white PVC pipe with 1" diameter.  Purchase a "female" T joint that is 2.5" across and affix it to one end of the 31" pipe.  Into each end of the female T, insert a 1" diameter x 4" in length piece of PVC pipe.  You now have 3 ends which requite capping.  Mine has black caps on it, each of which fall short of being 1" high.  Note: The "T" requires a "double female thread to slip adapter."  This will allow you to take the T off for storage or to change the 31" length if it should become broken or perhaps used by someone else who is a lot taller.  Why am I telling you that you need this?  Because, without a doubt, this was the single most important and effective at home piece of rehab equipment I used.  It-is-fantastic!!!  What do you do with it?  Well, bring it with you to PT, once you've got some motion back in your shoulder and your PT will tell you.  Don't let your PT tell you otherwise.  I was the director of a PT rehab clinic for 10 years and know my business in this regard and this puppy is terrific.  I was able to make major headway at home versus having only Thera-band, plus exercises to do in a corner, and those with a pully seated on a chair. (5)  Wedge:  Unless told to do so by your surgeon, no, I would advise against it - unless it is wide enough to accommodate you - shoulders plus elbows out to the sides from your low back up.  This is a tall order, as most wedges do not come anywhere large enough to do that.  You should be provided a booklet with post-op instructions.  If not, ask for one.  They exist.  Plan on having a few to numerous pillows available, until such time as a "bed plan" is firm in your mind, based on recommendations.  If you do not receive recommendations and require them to lower your "fret level," ask where your rehab will be and definitely look into a pre-rehab visit, which you may have to pay out-of-pocket, asking for advice re sleeping.  In the meantime, I will ask my daughter who is a therapist and has many shoulder patients. (6)  Look at every room of your house and determine what needs to change for the next 8-12 months based on your needs.  Write this all down and make it happen now.  Simply tell your husband that your surgeon advised that you do this. (7)  Create menus, shop, cook, freeze:  I don't know how much you cook or bake, but please don't wait until the last minute.  Create menus of your favorite plus easy meals and freeze them.  Make lasagna, as an example, because you can get quite a few meals out of it.  Are you on Facebook?  Reach out to your friends, indicating that you are having major surgery, state the date, and ask them to sign up for dinner delivery for, say, the first 3 weeks or so.  I have several friends who've done this before surgeries or prior to births and it's really, really worked out well.  People always bring dessert, too!  Make sure you mention any food allergies.  (8)  Throw rugs/carpets: get these out of the way, if they are on top of wall-to-wall carpet.  They are trip hazards and, believe me, you do not want to take a fall on your post-op shoulder.  (9)  Get all of your favorite sandals and shoes out where you can get at them, without a problem.  Re-organize your closet to accommodate new purchases.  You may need a few new hangers so things slip off easier.  (10)  Make-up, etc.:  don't know which brands and application techniques you use, but take a real hard look at this.  If you use a time and technique intensive foundation, think about going another route for your recouperation months.  For foundation and so you don't spend a mint, I'd suggest Cover Girl in a pumper.  Place some on a small butter dish that will stay put.  Use a small laytex sponge or fingertips for application.  You can do your entire face with your available hand.  Stopping here and continuing with a folllow-up entry.

Esteemed Contributor

A.  Pre-Op, (10) Con't:  Eyeliner:  this can be a tough one.  I ended up, after much thought, on Amazon and purchased "Gratobian Cosmetics" brand "Cake Eye Liner in color "Espresso."  This can be used wet or dry.  Because of my shoulder situation, I used dry application with a MAC 266 angle brush.  Love, love, love this combo.  It worked so well, I still use it!  and the Gratobian eye liner is nearly an inch and a half wide: I still have it and use it to this day.  (11)  don't forget lip care after surgery, as your lips may be quite chapped.  (12)  hair care:  don't fret too much about this.  Purchase a quality "dry shampoo" product and use it."  (13) find a local medical supply company open to the public and purchase a very large plastic drape you can use while in the shower so that you can wash your hair.  May sure you have shampool available in a container you can work with one hand or your husband assisting with it and conditioner.  Eventually, treat yourself and go to a salon once a week for the works.  It will be wonderful!  While at the medical supply company, ask them about frames to place around the toilet to help with you getting on and off the toilet.  (14)  "Recliner:"  You mentioned people had indicated purchasing a recliner.  I will own up to having purchased one prior to my low back fusion (an electric one).  However, having been through 2 shoulder surgeries, don't see a need for that expenditure.  An issue I see with this surgery is that when you're seated in a recliner, you're way back in it: they are not shallow cushioned chairs, plus your legs are raised up parallel to the floor.  When you need to exit the chair, you need to be able to reach to the right and use the handle bar and ****** it forward or push a button if electric (electric is far, far easier on the body), then the legs are lowered and you have the chore of scooting your bottom forward a little by little bit with just one hand helping you on one arm of the chair, until you're on the edge where you can then carefully stand up, without jarring yourself too much.  Believe me, for some without an electric recliner, this is going to be painful.  And, keep in mind that some to a moderate number of these chair are designed such that the sides ease a bit toward the front, which you don't want for your shoulder.  I'm sitting in one such right now.  (15)  Changing plans:  make sure you look at your calendar to check for upcoming appts and engagements.  Make calls/emails now, letting folks know that you're going to be out of commission for a while and on pain meds, so may not be able to attend whatever event.  (16)  Is your PCP in the loop?:  make sure your PCP is in the loop re this surgery.  Are your pre-op labs scheduled or have you had them?  Have you had your pre-op ECG?  (17)  Discharge clothes:  Make sure to have a tote, with comfortable, loose clothes for going home. This should include slip-on shoes, not sandals, as sandals can fly off.  (18)  Does anesthesia cause you discomfort?  Just in case, bring a plastic shopping bag, one bath towel and several paper towels along and leave in the car for your drive home, just in case you become car sick. (19)  Home after surgery day:  Take it easy and start pain meds as directed, after your husband picks them up, if you don't already have them.  Eat lightly or as directed.  Push fluids.  If you have pain in your throat, a froggy voice or develop laryngitis, get back to your surgeon.  This is indicative of ET tube insertion issues and should be evaluated.

B.  Surgery and C. Post-Op:   Jan - Will continue later or tomorrow.