Honored Contributor

Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery--Can anyone give me tips?

@highmaintenancejan wrote:

@ICU2

I don't have a recliner...should I get a 'wedge pillow' for the bed.?  Hubby will sleep in spare room.

@highmaintenancejan

I flew to LA to take care of my brother when he had this surgery on both (not at the same time) and agree with what everyone here has stated, it it a painful surgery with a long recovery time.

He didn't have a recliner either and tried a wedge pillow, but they're so wide, that his surgery shoulder rested uncomfortably against the wedge pillow and offered no elevation for his arm, which you want.

We ended up settling him on his wide couch, with a regular pillow for his head and elevated his arm using multiple pillows.

He found that most comfortable and was able to get 4-5 hours of sleep, before pain woke him up and he needed another pain pill (and he had the nerve block too), so keep a bottle of water and your pain pills close by where you sleep.

BTW, he too said that he didn't know why he waited so long in pain before having the surgery, it changed his life!

Best wishes for you during your surgery and recovery!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@highmaintenancejan wrote:

For an easier recovery, I'm scared!  Have you had this surgery?

I had this surgery about 6 years ago.  Don't be afraid.  It will help you immensely.  All I can recommend is that you do your PT as they tell you.  It does take a few weeks and a little pain as they start to work your arm, but don't be afraid because you will have the use of your shoulder even better than before.  Always do your exercizes at home like they tell you.  I am doing fine after all this time and have no pain anymore at all.  God bless

Occasional Contributor

You are very welcome.  I went back to edit, by the way, so there's more information in there now than there was previously.  One other thing is that you will need tops that you can get in and out of easily.  Some of the ones that were helpful to me at the time were from the Q--loose chiffon tunics from Mizrahi that went over camis.  They do get picked by the immobilizer Velcro, so it doesn't need to be anything expensive or precious to you.  Eventually, for PT, I went out to Wal-Mart and bought some enormous and cheap three-packs of Hanes T-shirts from the men's department.  For the early stages, you can do a search on shoulder surgery garments that may give you some ideas.   One that I used was shouldershirts.com.  Nothing very stylish, but the style isn't very important when you're just struggling to get it on.

Hang in there, and take one shoulder at a time!

Valued Contributor

@ownsyjay

Thank you for all the good clothing info.  I got some tube tops that go to the waist at Walmart...I just need to find some "cover ups" that are open in the front. Loose like you said.  The other tops I can step in to!!  I understand totally what you are saying and appreciate all of your information very much, it helps soooo much!!  (((HUGS)))

Esteemed Contributor

@highmaintenancejan - I had mine done in 2009. I have full use of my arm and no discomfort at all. Make sure you follow the instructions given by your surgeon and do the PT excercises as often as they tell you and you should be fine.

I did have the nerve block which lasted about 18 hours. They did give me pain meds but found I couldn't take them as they made me vomit. No matter which they tried. So, I managed to get through with 2 tylenol and a motrin as the surgeon instructed me to do.

As for sleeping, I tried the recliner but had a difficult time getting it back upright when I had to get up. I took the back cushions off the couch and slept in the crook - sort of upright.

Don't plan on buttons/zippers - hard to do. I wore yoga type pants and oversized t-shirts for a while. When I could finally wear a bra, DH had to hook it for me because my arm wouldn't bend that far, lol. 

Give yourself an easy hair style - wash & go. Do you have a wand in your shower? That was the easiest way to shower because you don't want to get wet from the waist up if you are bandaged up.

If there is anything else I think of, I'll add it here or if you have any questions, let me know. Good Luck

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@riley1

Thank you so much!  I appreciate all of your information and tips, so very helpful!! 

(((HUGS))) Heart  Thank you God for this site, I am getting invaluable information!!

Respected Contributor

DH had it done several years ago.  He slept in a recliner at first.

The best advice is do the PT.  He was diligent and regained full range of motion with no pain afterward.  It's hard, but worth it.

Valued Contributor

I had this surgery 6 years ago and unfortunately had to have emergency surgery 5 weeks later for a perforated ulcer.  The shoulder surgery recovery was hard but each day I looked for improvement where I could.

I wanted to pass along 2 tips for someone facing surgery.  The first is to really take your rehab seriously.  Some of the exercises may seem silly, but do them every day as if your life depends on it, because it will!

The other tip is an item called a "Bottom Buddy"!  It will be your best friend!

I found it on the computer, and I have given one to any friend facing a surgery where bathroom issues are a possibility.  Not as pretty as flowers, but so practical!

Occasional Contributor

You are so welcome.  I'm paying back, because I got the best tips here when I had my knees replaced.  Big hugs to you!

Valued Contributor

I can easily take pain meds...they don't constipate me. I have Micro-Colitis which gives me "the runs"...so no problem.  They don't upset my stomach...so bring them on!!!