Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery--Can anyone give me tips?

@highmaintenancejan wrote:

@sfnative

Rebecca, 

Even the power one I saw had the button on the right hand side which does me no good.  Yes, my chair is leather.  You know, I think I will just see how I can get comfortable....and that will be that.  I have Euro pillows, King pillows, standard pillows, about 10 of them.  Lots of decorator pillows....the pillows on the love seat...lots of things available.  So I thing I will just work with the things I have.  Home Health will be coming on Day 2 and I'm sure they can help me.   I'm just starting to panic!!!  I'm sure I'll find some way to be comfortable....

Thanks for listening!!

Jan

@highmaintenancejan

Hi Jan.

First - I am with you ALL THE WAY.  I hope you know that.

I do wish I had had your leather chair!  It looks absolutely marvelous.  And, you're having home health come to your home.  That is great!  My home health was me.  I didn't have anyone or any organization visit after any of my surgeries.  Insurance wouldn't pay for it.

Regarding your panicking:  Do you have an automatic blood pressure cuff?  If you do, please take your blood pressure. Iif you don't, at least get a watch with a second hand and take your pulse for 30 seconds, then double that number.  That final number is your pulse for one minute.  If your pule exceeds 90 and if you do have an automatic blood pressure monitor and your blood pressure exceeds 140/90, go to urgent care, not your uncaring PCP.  Explain to them your surgery date, type and that you're having panic attacks and that your PCP is non responsive.  All you're asking for is something that will "bring you down off the ceiling until the 27th."  That's all.

Jan, I had to do this for my husband prior to his hernia surgery, as he was a panicky wreck, when I returned home from work 5 or 6 days prior to his surgery.  His surgeon prescribed a great drug and 2 days later my husband told me, "I don't care about a da_m thing."   LOL!  He's always so uptight, he worries about EVERYTHING AND CONTROLS EVERYTHING!  But this drug did the trick.  If I recall correctly, it was just Ambien, but did the trick and knocked him out.

Anyway, get thee to urgent care and bypass your other doc.  Be honest with the urgent care doc, indicating less than 8 days to go, but that panic attacks are ratcheting up, pain at Level 8 , due to refusal of pain medication, and you simply cannot sleep more than 3 hours and are not eating much.

I'm with you in spirit, Jan.  God Bless you in every way.

XXX ~ Rebecca

Respected Contributor

@highmaintenancejanWhile I understand you not wanting to purchase a recliner (electric would be the best without a handle), have you thought about going to one of those places that rent furniture before your surgery to see what's available before your surgery?  At least you would see what's available, get costs, etc. in the event you find that you really need one after the surgery.  That way you'd know prior to the surgery, and if you needed one, you would know what's comfortable and available and could call them to have it delivered.

Believe me, you will not feel like going out of the house shopping for one after you get home; rest is what you will need along with the pain meds and ice.

@tansy I believe mentioned something about the ones that have the interchangeable handles also.

Just some food for thought and trying to give you more options.

Esteemed Contributor

Can I just SOUND OFF...picking up my After Surgery Scripts....made to feel like an ADDICT!!!  What has this country come to?????

Da*n people, I'm having surgery!!!!  

P.S.--Oh yea, and if you don't use them all (ha ha, they give you a packet of something to mix into the leftovers , again, ha ha, to render them unuseable....)---FAT CHANCE!!!  Are they crazy?  I had to give them an arm and a leg to get what I got and I have another 6 months of pain to go before I get the other side fixed!!!!  Enjoy @sfnative

@highmaintenancejan

Jan,

I hear you and understand your angst.

When I needed to look for a new PCP, my first visit with my new one was a joke.  First off this male doc tells me there's no such thing as chronic migraine, so I wouldn't be getting any pain medication from him.  Then he proceeded to lecture, yes, lecture me on the evils of pain medication, adding that the state hired the foremost expert on opioid addiction from Massachusetts to "straighten out the state's healthcare problems regarding opioid prescribing."  He went on, in my face, for 20 minutes!!!  Right before I left, I told him it was clear he hadn't been keeping up on his journal reading; and, tore a page out of a small notebook kept in my purse, wrote down a migraine website and handed it to him.  Told him it was his homework for the evening.  Never went back.

At my last PCP visit, I was told to drop by the lab downstairs, as new labs were required.  Turned out to be the "full magilla" drug

test.  My PCP, per new state regs, had me tested for just about every single illegal drug there is, plus levels of the pain medication she prescribs me (1 pill per day, only).  I know that to be true, as they were listed on the MyChart results I received.  And, who ended up paying for this hug drug test?  THE STATE!!!

Yes, they're absolutely crazy and it all started in the '70s.  I could write a book, because I lived where it all started.  Can't say anything else, as the subject has "pol..." origins and would not survive.

Honestly, I don't know what we, as patients who do need and are not at risk of committing a felony, can do about the ridiculousness of the situation.  I remain as angry, frustrated and in way too much pain, like so many others.

Sisters in Pain, with no gain, I remain...

Whatever is needed of me on any given day.

God Bless, Jan

XXX ~ Rebecca

Valued Contributor

@sfnative

God Bless YOU!!  What a DA*N Mess!!!  Makes me want to cry!!!  Why doesn't this country jump on the tylenol abuse bandwagon or something?????

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HisElk1 wrote:

@highmaintenancejanWhile I understand you not wanting to purchase a recliner (electric would be the best without a handle), have you thought about going to one of those places that rent furniture before your surgery to see what's available before your surgery?  At least you would see what's available, get costs, etc. in the event you find that you really need one after the surgery.  That way you'd know prior to the surgery, and if you needed one, you would know what's comfortable and available and could call them to have it delivered.

Believe me, you will not feel like going out of the house shopping for one after you get home; rest is what you will need along with the pain meds and ice.

@tansy I believe mentioned something about the ones that have the interchangeable handles also.

Just some food for thought and trying to give you more options.

@HisElk1

I checked on line...but I would pay $150 a month or more, which I think would be rather foolish.  Better just to invest in one.

But, thanks for the suggestion.  I'm still up in the air.  I would definitely need it to be electric.

Esteemed Contributor

I was just thinking about this.  I think I would go try out some chairs so if I needed one, I would know which one I needed.

So sorry you both are having such a "drug" problem.  I know that Florida is on this opioid rant.  It really makes it tough for people who really need the pain meds.

Hope you both have a great day!

@sfnative  I was a lady barbershopper also!

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative

God Bless YOU!!  What a DA*N Mess!!!  Makes me want to cry!!!  Why doesn't this country jump on the tylenol abuse bandwagon or something?????

@highmaintenancejan

Hi Jan,

I had to laugh, yes, laugh, when you mentioned Tylenol, because 18 months ago I took 2 Extra Strength Tylenol for headache to see if it would even make a dent in the pain, only to have my face swell up and turn as red as a stop sign.  I'm now allergic to Tylenol.    I used to take Tylenol for cramps and it did great.  Now I can't take NSAID's or Tylenol.  And the guv'ment, as my husband says, doesn't want me taking even the one pain pill per day I take.  It's a cruel world...

Anyway, I have a question for you:  Would you email the person that you previously did with the CBD question and ask her to get in touch with me so we can communicate?  Know what I mean?  It just occurred to me that this would be great!  Phone!!!  What fun!!!

God Bless ~ Rebecca

XXX

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I was just thinking about this.  I think I would go try out some chairs so if I needed one, I would know which one I needed.

So sorry you both are having such a "drug" problem.  I know that Florida is on this opioid rant.  It really makes it tough for people who really need the pain meds.

Hope you both have a great day!

@sfnative  I was a lady barbershopper also!

@Zhills

Hi Zhills,

Re your last statement.  I was involved for over 30 years and was in two A-level choruses.  Won International twice (2 different choruses), Region 12 Quartet Champion, so was fortunate to be able to go to International in a quartet.  Have a box full of medals.  All-in-all a challenging time, as large groups of women tend to drive me up the wall: I prefer working with men, who I find more down to earth and less likely to figuratively chop your head off.  Found being Board President and Team Leader positions I would never, ever take again, even for $1,000,000.  Why did I continue?  I just love competitions - thrive on them.  From the time I won my first relay race in grammar school, I was hooked.  I guess it's in my genes, plus I was a Music Major first time around in college and had put in a number of years with the California Bach Choir, before receiving a call from a high school friend who already belonged to a chorus on the SF peninsula.  (We were both 26 or 27 at the time.)  Her chorus was a C level chorus, which drove my perfect pitch crazy.  So my friend directed me to a chorus way down in Cupertino (San Jose) and that's where I started. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@highmaintenancejan

Hi Jan,

Check your email.

Rebecca

Valued Contributor

@sfnative

PERFECT!!!