Valued Contributor

Rotator Cuff Surgery--Can anyone give me tips?

For an easier recovery, I'm scared!  Have you had this surgery?

Honored Contributor

Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery--Can anyone give me tips?

Have you exhausted all other forms of treatment and physical therapy?

Have you had a second opinion?

A family member decided to not have the surgery and did fine but it was a lot of work, doing the PT then following it on his own as well.   Never needed the surgery.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@software

No, but it is torn and I've been in pain 4-6 months!

Frequent Contributor

Yes my hubby had it done! Don't be scared it's painful not gonna lie to you but living in pain is far worse than that ! Ice lots ice for pin and swelling and pain melds will get you better soon and follow with PT than on your own ! Once it's thorn not much else you can do ! He had It done in November and says why did I wait so long in pain ? So as you see any surgery is scary but living in pain is even more scary to me ! You will be fine and get trough it ! Good luck 

Valued Contributor

@miamia101

Thank you, That HELPS!!  Yes, doctor says there is a nerve block and lots of pain meds and they send 'home health' for dressing changes and to begin physical therapy at home then 4 months of PT.  But, here's the kicker...the other shoulder is torn also....

But, thank you to you and your husband for the information and reassurance.  I just need to know I'm doing the right thing!Heart

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@highmaintenancejan

My DH had both shoulders done, the incision is small and I think it has self dissolving stitches, there was no home health aide needed

Please find a qualified surgeon and a top hospital, his first one was done at a Joint Disease in NYC and it was great, the second was done locally and it was a totally different experience.

My DH is a warrior and never complain about the pain, he did tough it our the pain meds hurt his stomach terribly, so he just used advil

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Occasional Contributor

I had this surgery on both shoulders, one shoulder needed my bicep to be cut also. I also had the nerve block which was successful; however, it's a painful and long recovery. However, the end result was wonderful, and I have full range of motion from both procedures. The only tip I can add is that a recliner was recommended and very helpful when sleeping....it allowed a comfortable arm extension, and I knew hubby wouldn't accidentally bang into my shoulder. Good luck with your procedure!

Trusted Contributor

@highmaintenancejan wrote:

I've had it four times.

If you do exactly as your doctor instructs you, you'll be ok. It won't be fun and it will be somewhat painful but your md should give you enough pain relief medicine that you'll be able to get through it.

You'll probably have to go for physical therapy and, again, do exactly as you're instructed. If you have any questions and/or something doesn't seem right, RUN--don't walk--to your doctor.

And good luck; let us know how you're doing.

Valued Contributor

@FuzzyFace wrote:

@highmaintenancejan wrote:

I've had it four times.

If you do exactly as your doctor instructs you, you'll be ok. It won't be fun and it will be somewhat painful but your md should give you enough pain relief medicine that you'll be able to get through it.

You'll probably have to go for physical therapy and, again, do exactly as you're instructed. If you have any questions and/or something doesn't seem right, RUN--don't walk--to your doctor.

And good luck; let us know how you're doing.

@FuzzyFace

Okay, why 4 times?  YOU are scaring me!!

Valued Contributor

@ICU2

I don't have a recliner...should I get a 'wedge pillow' for the bed.?  Hubby will sleep in spare room.