Honored Contributor

Re: Rosacea and eye problems

Why are you using a scrub on your eyelid? If you have something wrong with the skin on your eye lid, then yes, you should see a derm. Do not self treat. I had dermatitis on my eyelid earlier this year and my derm gave me a sample of something to treat it. She said you have to be careful what you use on the eyelid because some things speed up cataracts.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

On 11/28/2014 VaBelle35 said:

Why are you using a scrub on your eyelid? If you have something wrong with the skin on your eye lid, then yes, you should see a derm. Do not self treat. I had dermatitis on my eyelid earlier this year and my derm gave me a sample of something to treat it. She said you have to be careful what you use on the eyelid because some things speed up cataracts.

My eye doctor has me using eye lid scrubs because I have blepharitis. This is a common recurring problem with many ocular rosacea patients.They are over the counter, and are basically sterile soap and water. My eyelids are very oily, and this helps. I am not self treating. Steroid eye drops can speed up the formation of cataracts.
Honored Contributor

On 11/28/2014 VaBelle35 said:

I have rosacea on my face and I also see an opthamologist for my ocular rosacea. I use Systane Ultra twice a day. Works like a charm.

Systane Ultra does not work for me.
Contributor

I have ocular rosacea and take doxycycline for it as well. I have been on it for 7 weeks and it has helped my eyes. I still have discomfort, but not quite as much as before starting on it. I also use a topical prescription cream on my face once/day. Both prescriptions are from my dermatologist. I suggest that you see someone as soon as you can so that you are treated early in the process. Rosacea is more difficult to treat if left untreated.

Contributor

I was diagnosed with Rosacea 18 years ago. None of the prescription meds over the years have helped and I had a severe allergic reaction to minocycline. I thought I had ocular rosacea too but my eye doctor says I have MGD. The result is dry eye but the difference is that I produce tears fine but I do not produce the lipids that coat your eye that keep your tears from evaporating too fast. Restatis would not be helpful to me at all. I use the Systane Balance which is for MGD and gel drops at night and wear an eye mask to sleep. He thinks I do not close my eyes completely when I sleep (and I use a ceiling fan.) Also, it is recommended to put a warm compress on my eyes as the warmth helps to open up the glands that release the lipids.
Honored Contributor

My opthamologist suggested fish oil and ground flax (at least 2T a day). She said that there is research that says this is effective for dry eyes. I like flax, and I put it on everything I can, but 2T a day is really hard to get down in a day. But I get as much in as I can.

I don't know if it's working. I haven't had any really bad days since I've started doing it, so maybe it is.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Frequent Contributor

I, too, have rosacea, and was diagnosed with ocular rosacea a few years ago. I take doxycycline for both, and it helps enormously! I also take flaxseed oil pills. In addition, I stock up on Refresh eye drops, which I use frequently, especially when I flare. They are very gentle and soothing. I also find that cold compresses are helpful.

Super Contributor

I've had severe dry eyes for about 7 years, with recurrent corneal erosion. It's very painful. My lips are also extremely sensitive and turn bright red if I don't keep Aquaphor on them. I go nowhere without my Aquaphor and Refresh Liquigel drops. I have used Restasis for a while, along with warm soaks, eyelid wipes, and omega-3's. My Ophthalmologist tried me on doxycycline, based on a possible Rosacea diagnosis, but I was allergic. I have an appointment Monday with a new dermatologist. I can't wait. It's maddening.

Honored Contributor

Thank all of you for sharing. Severe dry eyes are miserable, and like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get. Funny, but very true. I am going to see a dermatologist. I have one, but have never seen him about my red face. Everyone enjoy your weekend.
Honored Contributor

On 11/28/2014 Penellope said:

I've had severe dry eyes for about 7 years, with recurrent corneal erosion. It's very painful. My lips are also extremely sensitive and turn bright red if I don't keep Aquaphor on them. I go nowhere without my Aquaphor and Refresh Liquigel drops. I have used Restasis for a while, along with warm soaks, eyelid wipes, and omega-3's. My Ophthalmologist tried me on doxycycline, based on a possible Rosacea diagnosis, but I was allergic. I have an appointment Monday with a new dermatologist. I can't wait. It's maddening.

Penellope, I have had corneal erosions too. There are many nerve endings on the cornea, and I was told this is one of the most painful conditions there is. You can try an over the counter ointment for night time use called Muro 128. It is specific to help prevent the erosions. It burns, but is worth it to me. Muro 128 also comes in drop form for daytime. Muro is a salt solution, and that is why it burns.