Respected Contributor

I am recovering from an upper respiratory infection and of course still coughing a lot.

Earlier today I felt the pang of a pulled muscle in my lower rib cage I went to roll over and got the muscle spasm of my LIFE!

I could barely breathe, I had searing pain on the left side of my rib cage. I tried to stay calm and relax.  It only lasted about a minute but it seemed like forever!!! Then it was gone.

I will have to remember to not lift or bear weigh on this side until I heal. I have a fear of that pain!

Any tips would be appreciated.

Honored Contributor

I have been there and man oh man it is a cramp like no other.....  The only thing I could think of was to raise my arm and stretch the side that was cramping (like you flex in the opposite way when you get a cramp in your leg).  It hurt more for a second or two but then eased up and went away.  

I'm also prone to leg cramps and drink about 1/2 cup of PowerAid 0 (no calories) and it helps replenish the electrolytes, etc. that I'm losing during the day. 

When I was training in Karate and had classes every day I would drink 8 oz prior to my work outs.  It really works keeping your muscles "sane".....

Good luck and take care.... Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

That is painfull.I get that all the time. Just happened a day or 2 ago and I am still feeling the pain (which is unusual)

I also get leg and foot cramps nightly  Smiley Sad

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Valued Contributor

I am out of work this week for the same reason.  I feel for you.  I hope your spasms end soon.  I had my rib cage feel like it was hung up (if that makes sense) when I reached for something to drink.  It finally eased off after just a few minutes.  If your persists, I would seek medical attention as I was told to go to ER ASAP if I had any issues, so you need to take care of yourself.  Feel better soon.

Esteemed Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

That is painfull.I get that all the time. Just happened a day or 2 ago and I am still feeling the pain (which is unusual)

I also get leg and foot cramps nightly  Smiley Sad

Wishing you a speedy recovery

I too get leg cramps often ..... the other night I had one so bad that I cried from the pain ... I find that when I drink enough fluids during the day they don't happen .... I also get the muscle cramp in my rib cage when I turn a certain way ... that hurts as well...... seems like this happens to many people.

Honored Contributor

I injured my ribs pulling roots out of garden the one spring and was down for 3 weeks and had occassional muscle spasms for years.

Honored Contributor

This past winter I got a terrible virus, coughed so bad and so long that I pulled a muscle in my chest.  Such pain --- I could not catch my breath!!!  It was horrible.  The told me to hold a pillow over the area every time I coughed to shield it.  It seemed like heat helped it so I sat a lot with a heating pad and drank a lot of hot tea.  I have to say it was one of the worst things I have experienced.  It lasted weeks but thankfully it gradually got less and less.  I moved very slowly and tried to breath slowly.  My best to you and I sure feel for you!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

In case it wasn't mentioned, medicines. My husband had to quit one because of the legs cramps he got from it. He'd drink a lot more water and it would help and he gets potassium from bananas which I guess they said he needed too. So maybe this will help in some way. Water for sure!!

Honored Contributor

I agree, medicines will also leave you prone to cramps, especially "water pills".  If you are on these to help with blood pressure because as they help drain water from the body, they also drain electrolytes, potassium and magnesium.  

Add 8 oz of Gatorade or PowerAid a day and it replenishes these lost (and vital) nutrients.  You can get both of these without any calories.... I drink it every day (for me, at least 6 oz and as much as 10 if I feel it's necessary).... you'll be surprised how well it works... Woman Happy  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I agree, medicines will also leave you prone to cramps, especially "water pills".  If you are on these to help with blood pressure because as they help drain water from the body, they also drain electrolytes, potassium and magnesium.  

Add 8 oz of Gatorade or PowerAid a day and it replenishes these lost (and vital) nutrients.  You can get both of these without any calories.... I drink it every day (for me, at least 6 oz and as much as 10 if I feel it's necessary).... you'll be surprised how well it works... Woman Happy  

Pedialyte will do it too.  I drink 8 oz. every day.  Replaces electrolytes for those who get dehydrated easily.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986