Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Return of hot flashes --- oh, sheesh

I haven't had these in a good while.  Now, lately, I am getting them again.  Just wondered if others here have had this happen.  I probably haven't had them for over a year and now suddenly I find I am experiencing them again.  

I thought I was over and done with this??  I am not asking for medical advice so I don't want anything to think that.  Just inquiring if anyone else had experienced getting them again after not having them a long while.  If it keeps up, I will consult my doctor though I doubt she will have much to say about it.

Thanks for your replies!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

Re: Return of hot flashes --- oh, sheesh

I sympathize with you. Unless you've had hotflashes, you have no idea how problematic it is. I had them for 17 years, they stopped for about 6 months, and now they are back with a vengeance. About the only thing that is good about it, I have never had to turn the furnace on in my house. (I'm trying to "look on the bright side" with that statement). I have accepted the fact that I am stuck with them. Hope you can find some relief.  Good luck to you.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bless your heart...I definitely feel your pain.

If you get 50 responses here, there will probably be 50 different answers!  It's pretty individualized, but we'll each give our work-around.

The things I'm looking into are:

-) sodium

-) caffeine

-) thyroid medication

Mine come & go...but especially at night.  If you Google 'hot flashes 3:00am', there will be so many hits!  Common problem.  Many experts will say it's caused by a drop in blood sugar...which causes a surge of adrenaline which causes the hot flash.   

I'm going to remove coffee/tea & salt from my diet to see if that helps...and get my thyroid tested in January since I just weaned myself from HRT, which plays into thyroid levels.  HTH

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

More info would help:  your age, medical history like any chronic ailments, are you taking any meds or supplements?   Any weigh gain or loss lately?

I am 62 and still have hot flashes.  I notice them when I am quiet (like in the middle of the night) but when I am busy they don't bother me much since whatever I'm occupiied with gets my main attention.

Respected Contributor

When I turned 50 I had only about 6 months of hot flashes.  Then one night I was doubled up in a fetal position my ovaries hurt so bad - after that, no more hot flashes!  I told my doctor I blew out my ovaries!  I feel for you because my 6 months of hot flashes were awful!  I can't imagine having them for years - I can only think maybe stress has brought them on again.  My friend's mother still has her period in her 70s!  Yikes!

Honored Contributor

While going thru meno I had such severe hot flashes the doc conceeded to allow me to go on HRT - though only for a short period and only at a very low dose. Mine were so bad I could not do my job as I would be dripping sweat on my patients, plus when I had one my heart rate would go up to around 250 so i would be very dizzy. After 5 years I was completely off HRT but I am now 66 and I still get them every day. The ones now are mild and tolerable but I am assuming I will have them forever. I would love a year without them - heck I would love a week without them.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

While going thru meno I had such severe hot flashes the doc conceeded to allow me to go on HRT - though only for a short period and only at a very low dose. Mine were so bad I could not do my job as I would be dripping sweat on my patients, plus when I had one my heart rate would go up to around 250 so i would be very dizzy. After 5 years I was completely off HRT but I am now 66 and I still get them every day. The ones now are mild and tolerable but I am assuming I will have them forever. I would love a year without them - heck I would love a week without them.

I am so sorry.

I've had them for seven years now. I usually have them a couple times a day. I dress very lightly now.

I am so warm at times, that I don't even wear my coat/jacket outside, but will take it with me and just put it in the car with me so that I have it in case I need it. 

Honored Contributor

65 yrs young & have never had a hot flash or night sweats.

About 10 years ago I told my doctor that I would welcome them because I stay so cold 24/7/365 that I am not human but a cold blooded reptile!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Yikes!!     No woman should have to beg her MD to get relief ..... maybe you should consider getting a new doctor?

Honored Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo

Yes, they are something else!  17 years?  Oh, my.  Poor you!  I never realized they could go on that long.  Thanks for replying and I wish you the best and hope that they eventually stop for you, also! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin