Respected Contributor

Re: Restoring gut health after a stomach bug

@gellen wrote:
Is it normal for your gut to be off for awhile after having a bug? Without getting too detailed I am having trouble getting back on a normal bathroom schedule following an illness. I have a Dr appt soon so hopefully she will have some good suggestions 😬

I'm going through the same thing. I don't have an answer but maybe this will help.

I have been dealing with intermittent diarrhea for weeks. The onset was definitely related to something food borne. My PCP was no help. 

I am seeing a GI now and waiting for stomach biopsy results. It is possible to develop IBS following infection! I hope this is not what I am facing. After much reading I think I had an overactive immune response to normal bacteria. 

I have tried all the magic bullets: hand fulls of probiotics, bland diet, fermented foods(yogurt, sauerkraut) Fortunately, I was scheduled for routine colonoscopy so I'm now waiting for guidance from the GI. 

Honored Contributor

One word:  probiotics. 

A daily probiotic blend containing at least 25 billions CFUs balances the GI system and boosts immunity.

I've had IBS-C and GERD for decades and it really helps.

Esteemed Contributor

@gellen 

Not sure what soon means for your Doctor appointment. Trust your doctor as she knows your body, and most likely will have the answers for you.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

@feline groovy  what probiotic have you been taking?

Honored Contributor

@gellen wrote:
Is it normal for your gut to be off for awhile after having a bug? Without getting too detailed I am having trouble getting back on a normal bathroom schedule following an illness. I have a Dr appt soon so hopefully she will have some good suggestions 😬

@gellen 

Just curious ... when was the last time you took probiotics?

Super Contributor

Never took probiotics. Maybe it is time to start. I will check with my Dr on Wed.
Honored Contributor

@gellen 

Antibiotics and stomach bugs are two of the most common ways to upset normal gut bacteria.   The cheapest fixes are eating live cultured yogurt daily, or a daily dose of acidophilus.  

I don't tolerate dairy, so yogurt is not a good option for me, but the Natures Bounty brand of acidophilus worked fine.  

Respected Contributor

Never take Immodium unless you know for sure it is only Lower GI upset. When you have a stomach bug and take immodium it SLOWS the progression of symptoms and delays recovery. you may end up throwing up for a longer period of time than you would expect.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Love orchids :

I alternate between these two:

Renew Life Women's Probiotics 25 Billion CFU 12 Strains 

NewRhythm Probiotics 50 Billion CFU 20 Strains 

Super Contributor

@feline groovy Thankyou