Super Contributor

Restoring gut health after a stomach bug

Is it normal for your gut to be off for awhile after having a bug? Without getting too detailed I am having trouble getting back on a normal bathroom schedule following an illness. I have a Dr appt soon so hopefully she will have some good suggestions 😬
Super Contributor

Re: Restoring gut health after a stomach bug

It's hard to make suggestions because I don't know if you're constipated or have diarrhea. I do know that since I've gone on a whole food plant based diet 4 years ago I haven't had any gut issues. The body likes a lot of fiber in the forms of vegetables, fruit, & grains for healthy bacteria to grow. Bad bacteria grows on animal products. If you have diarrhea you might want to cut back on the fiber though.Hopefully your doctor will have some suggestions, but they often have very poor nutritional training.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gellen of course, check with your doctor, but I had a horrible time starting last May and going through fall.  I didn't have a stomach bug but got sick from eating in a restaurant and it was off to the races...for months.  They tested me for all sorts of parasites and everything was negative.  

I was taking a probiotic, Align, and it wasn't helping.  The the new gastro doctor I saw told me to get these, from Amazon.  I did and though it was a slow process, they were and continue to be extremely helpful.  I take 2 every morning.  The diagnosis for me was IBS.

Anyway, here they are and again, check with your doctor on anything, but these have been a godsend for me.  

8647F823-1508-4F82-B8E2-0B2DB3EB497A.jpeg

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

Ithink it would be good to take a probiotic.

Super Contributor

Thanks for all the suggestions. Initially it was diarrhea after the bug but I treated that with Imodium and then developed the opposite problem.
Trusted Contributor

Plain yoghurt, like ******e or Chobani, helps. 

Honored Contributor

Focus on consumption of fruits and veggies; avoid meat and meat products.  It may take a while but you'll get regular again.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@gellen of course, check with your doctor, but I had a horrible time starting last May and going through fall.  I didn't have a stomach bug but got sick from eating in a restaurant and it was off to the races...for months.  They tested me for all sorts of parasites and everything was negative.  

I was taking a probiotic, Align, and it wasn't helping.  The the new gastro doctor I saw told me to get these, from Amazon.  I did and though it was a slow process, they were and continue to be extremely helpful.  I take 2 every morning.  The diagnosis for me was IBS.

Anyway, here they are and again, check with your doctor on anything, but these have been a godsend for me.  

8647F823-1508-4F82-B8E2-0B2DB3EB497A.jpeg

DH and I have  been taking these for quite awhile.  I think they're good.  We eat yogurt a couple times a week.  I also take a couple spoonfuls of cold processed sauerkraut daily. The Cleveland brand has some good ones. I also like the Wildbrine brand from Costco.  Get the cold fermented kinds. 

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh Thanks for Probiotic recommendation that worked well for you; I'm always on the lookout for a good one. I've tried only a few...some were given from a nutritionist I saw about 4 years ago, then that became not available to me. Then one I tried, forget the name, (I think it was "New Chapter"or something like that), from a healthfood store near me, that was recommended. He recommended that one because it was 2020, and he said it had some extra ingredient in it, that people usually take on their own, for immune health, which was good during Covid times.

When those ran out, I just got "Olly" brand gummies, as I take their melatonin and like it, and they tasted good.

All that said, I'm not having stomach issues, per se, though I may sometimes get heartburn...but was taking them, pro-actively, just to keep in balance, gut-wise, and overall good health. I never have any idea if I really need them, or if they're doing me good. But...I take them off and on, thinking it can't be a bad thing.

I'll look into your recommendation.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bran flakes, shredded wheat, and watermelon work for me. Prunes were good, but I can no longer eat them due to acid reflux.