Respected Contributor

Re: Restless leg syndrome, part 2

[ Edited ]

Please order the Andrew Lessman Circulation and Vein Support.  It was recommended in your last post.  It really works.  

Most doctors will not recommend supplements.

Respected Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

Oh dear...I asked my doctor about this and she said it sometimes happens to people with a cronic condition, which I have. She also offered me some ways of minimizing it. Plus I wonder if my hepatitis is acting up--I'm getting some of the symptoms. It's just one  d a m n e d   thing after another.

I'm about ready to jump out of a window in a high-rise building. Not really but I feel so terrible I don't know what to do. I think I have some kind of bug and I got all of 2 hours sleep last night/this morning, plus my back is killing me. 

Oy!

I know exactly how you feel.  I have been to the neurologist for cramping, needle and pain feeling, numbness in bottom of my feet.  They put me on Gabapentin 3x per day.  I only take it at night as it makes me feel kind of dizzy.  There are sleepless nights where I feel like I want to just end it.  I am so tired the next day I am miserable.

@rms1954  Your neuropathy sounds very tough to handle. I'm familiar with Gabapentin (which is also used to control seizures) and was concerned that you seem to have changed the dosage on your own.  It's a helpful drug but sometimes a difficult one.  If your doctor didn't authorize the dosage change, I hope you'll bring it to his attention.  He may conclude that a different drug would have fewer side effects.  Best of luck to you.

Valued Contributor

Neurotin/ Gabapentin is the worst thing these doctors can give you, yet its their go to drug for every ache and pain these days. Its their answer to opioids ...

My mom was on them for years for her neuropathy (sp) I begged her to stop and try another drug or heck another doctor. 

However you know the older generation, whatever their doctor says is written in stone, you can't change them.

Well she lived to be 91 with all her aches and pains but ended up from the drug collecting in her kidneys and heart, it doesnt always pass through the system.

She was on 800 mg a day and still had the pain, so why, why take them,,,"because the doctor said so" would be her answer...

As I said, she is gone now and finally free of pain, but I can't tell you how many people I know who are on those horrible pills..

I'd look for another doctor, I don't know you and what you do is none of my business, I just hate to see another victim of that drug..

Honored Contributor

Seriously - Magnesium!

I take that with B-6/Folic Acid/B-12 in the evening, after dinner, and it stopped the problem for me.

I get both of these on Amazon.  The Mag I use is NatureMade brand, Extra Strength 400mg per gel cap (I just take one), and the B-6/etc is Trader Joe's brand sl.

Respected Contributor

Alpha Lipoic Acid really help neuropathy.  

Honored Contributor

i second magnesium.....it really helps me!

i take it every day.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

CALM is a good source of magnesium.  which can be purchased at Costco.

@GoneButNotForgotten 

so hard to go without sleep and continual back pain,..wish I had the solution,  I saw my mother go the route with the gaba/neurotin.  Hope that you find some relief.

Honored Contributor

Did anyone get counseling from their health care provider?

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry you are suffering like that but I can't believe you explained this to your doctor and your did nothing.  RLS is fairly common and there are medications that can give you relief.  If your doctor really did say "just go away and suffer", you are seeing a quack and you need to find a new doctor.

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten I get restless legs (or arms) periodically.  Just got both last night.  I take 1/2 mg. Xanax and I get to sleep within about 15 min.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!