Honored Contributor

Resource info for plant based eating

http://www.theveganjunction.com/top-20-plant-based-health-professionals-to-follow/

I found this to be interesting and helpful and wanted to pass the information on to whomever is interested.

Honored Contributor

Re: Resource info for plant based eating

@butterfly123 wrote:

http://www.theveganjunction.com/top-20-plant-based-health-professionals-to-follow/

I found this to be interesting and helpful and wanted to pass the information on to whomever is interested.

Be Still My Heart!

You know, @butterfly123, there are only a handful of us plant-based posters on this forum.   It's lovely to be among someone else that totally understands the importance of a Plant-Based lifestyle!   Not just plant based, but a low fat, whole foods plant based diet!

Every. Single. Professional mentioned, I follow either on Facebook, Twitter or in literature!

Are you, like me, anxiously awaiting the new film, "Eating You Alive"??

Here's one of the trailers.  Love the Samuel L. Jackson at the end!

http://youtu.be/BZJLsDEIx-M

I would like like to keep this conversation going.  

How did you come about this way of eating?

Please share!  And I would like to hear the stories of other posters, as well!!

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@butterfly123 wrote:

Be Still My Heart!

You know, @butterfly123, there are only a handful of us plant-based posters on this forum.   It's lovely to be among someone else that totally understands the importance of a Plant-Based lifestyle!   Not just plant based, but a low fat, whole foods plant based diet!

Every. Single. Professional mentioned, I follow either on Facebook, Twitter or in literature!

Are you, like me, anxiously awaiting the new film, "Eating You Alive"??

Here's one of the trailers.  Love the Samuel L. Jackson at the end!

http://youtu.be/BZJLsDEIx-M

I would like like to keep this conversation going.  

How did you come about this way of eating?

Please share!  And I would like to hear the stories of other posters, as well!!

@sidsmom And anyone else that as mentioned above wants to join the conversation

Yes I am excited to see "Eating You Alive"

I have been living this lifestyle of eating for the most part on my own.  I started to read books by some of the authors mentioned in the top 20 list in the link above.

My personal story is that I have been diagnosed with three rare diseases.  The medications I was taking caused me to gain 65 pounds and caused damage to my body.  

I disagreed with the doctors and  them pushing more and more medications.  Having reactions to the Meds and swelling and gaining more weight. I went to a well known medical facility and they were doing a research study on me (without my permission) and the doctors were ordering expensive tests that were not covered by insurance.  The tests that were ordered were not beneficial to me but rather their research study.  I had enough of the nonsense that was taking place and came upon a documentary on PBS and started looking into other sites.  I read a book by Dr. Esselstyn and the puzzles pieces started fitting together.  My DH eats a SAD diet and he sees the progress I am making and remembers what the doctors told me and realizes they were wrong about much of the outcome they were predicting. 

I am still learning and some days I stumble and give into temptation and I immediately feel the discomfort and pain return.

I am still taking baby steps and welcome anyone that would also like to share and not feel that they will be judged or made fun of.  I speak to those of you that are silent on the boards and may have questions and it is important for your voice to be heard. My husband and I are advocates for my healthcare because too many doctors I have had appointments with say they know about my diagnosis' and they don't but I catch on quickly and will not be their research project or lab rat. I do have respect for the medical system when the doctors have the patients best interests in mind. Thank you for taking the time to read about my ongoing journey!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@butterfly123

You definitely have your hands full.  Unfortunately the majority of the medical field will not give merit to any nutritional protocol.    It sounds like first & foremost is to reduce the inflammation in your body.  That inflammation is caused by the extra weight, medications, stress & improper diet.   You've made a HUGE step by changing to a Non-Inflammatory plant based diet.  Sounds like you're already seeing changes.  Consistency will pay off!  

If you do Facebook, there's a closed group called 'McDougall Friends' which is extremely active.  ALSO, many have said....if you email Dr. McDougall or Dr. Esselstyn with a question, they'll ALWAYS email back.  That might be an option if you have nutritional questions.

Be a good example to your DH...having a partner in crime (!) makes it so, so, so much easier.  You're brave & determined to do this on your own.  Keep it up! 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

I would welcome anyone else to join in since I don't really want to do it on my own. I welcome others ideas, thoughts and suggestions.  Many articles have been published about doctors nor receiving instruction in med school about food protocol. I don't understand some of the food that is served at some medical facilities for anyone's food preferences. We were having some testing done at a medical facility and on the first floor there was a McDonalds and a Burger King.

Honored Contributor

@fourpaws56 

On the above list I would look at the top three doctors and their websites. On the websites should be sample daily menus along with recipes. This is in response to a question you had from another post. HTH

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@butterfly123

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3428639/Woman-shed-60lbs-carb-heavy-vegan-diet-says-slimmi...

Here's an article about a gal I'm following on FB.  She lost a bunch of weight on a Low Fat Whole Foods Plant Based diet under the direction of Dr. John McDougall's 'Starch Solution' diet.  She currently has a Potato Cleanse challenge going on for 30 days.  Fun to see how simple I can make my diet.  Check it out.

@Lucky charm

I tagged you since this is McDougall related.  Thought you might be interested.

image.jpeg

Super Contributor

@butterfly123 @sidsmom, I just researched plant based diet and found this thread. I was inspired by watching The Jazzy Vegetarian. I am so toxic and need to get myself well, also help my family. Thank you for your posts. We do have too much meat, not sure if I could do totally without, in fact I just made a beef stew today! Baby steps! I feel a little better just thinking about permanent, healthy changes. Namaste. 🍆

Honored Contributor

@StillFuntoShop

There's another PB thread in Wellness waaay down the page.

I referenced a gentleman from Australia who is doing potatoes-only diet for a year to combat his food addictions.  Yeah, it's extreme, but his spirit just jumps through the screen if you watch his YouTube videos.  

There are are so many different reasons to go PB....and there are just as many resources to help with your journey.

Dietary: Want to lose weight? There are resources.

Medical: Want to eliminate health issues? There are resources.

Ethical: Touched by the treatment of animals? There are resources.

Financial: On a budget? There are resources.

nutritionfacts.org is an excellent site if you're a gal needing studies & research to back up the facts. 

Nice to have you here!!

Honored Contributor

@StillFuntoShop

Here is a free event with 20 speakers coming up. plantbasedtransformation.com

If you are interested you will want to sign up in advance. 

Be well!