Honored Contributor

Requesting information on Tumeric with Ginger/other?

What do you know about turmeric supplements?

If purchasing Andrew Lessman’s turmeric supplements, the choice appears to be one with ginger or one with phospholipid.

The ones we have been taking for nearly two years are from a different company (Swanson) and the potency is listed as this:

“Antioxidant, Joint Health, Cardiovascular, Liver Detox, Mood and Memory Support Supplement Curcuma Longa (Rhizome) 720 mg, 240 Capsules, 120 Servings, 1.44 Grams per Serving”

This seems like a high dosage unless one considers that it is the rhizome (does this mean the root?) ground up with some fillers thrown in?

If you know any facts about this supplement, I would appreciate any information you might provide! TIA ☺️ 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: Requesting information on Tumeric with Ginger/other?

I know to take at least 1500mg daily, in three doses of 500mg each with a meal. The addition of black pepper to the turmeric supp enhances it's absorption in the gut and will help prevent it from going to waste. Also important to note is the standardized version of the supp will be the most beneficial of all the the varieties available.

Respected Contributor

I tried taking tumeric pills a few years ago.  MAJOR stomach upset.  I did not enjoy the repeating of turmeric every time I belched.  Too bad, because it is so good for you and his pills are wisely formulated.

Respected Contributor

I have taken New Chapter Zyflamed for many years. It is primarily Tumeric and Ginger with others. The best price is usually Vitacost at 15-20% off. 

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

What do you know about turmeric supplements?

If purchasing Andrew Lessman’s turmeric supplements, the choice appears to be one with ginger or one with phospholipid.

The ones we have been taking for nearly two years are from a different company (Swanson) and the potency is listed as this:

“Antioxidant, Joint Health, Cardiovascular, Liver Detox, Mood and Memory Support Supplement Curcuma Longa (Rhizome) 720 mg, 240 Capsules, 120 Servings, 1.44 Grams per Serving”

This seems like a high dosage unless one considers that it is the rhizome (does this mean the root?) ground up with some fillers thrown in?

If you know any facts about this supplement, I would appreciate any information you might provide! TIA ☺️ 

@LTT1   I have been taking Tumeric for over ten years, used to buy it at Vitacost, now am using Lessman's, and just started DH on it.  It should be taken with some fat in the meal.  I take four a day, two in the morning and two with dinner.  If there is no fat at breakfast, I take one later when I eat nuts as a snack or cottage cheese, etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just use actual turmeric root. 

Grate a little bit in my oatmeal (with ground pepper) every morning.

Sometimes even fresh ginger root, as well.

Supplements don’t have the same medicinal effect

as fresh/dried turmeric.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

One time I did try Tumeric w/black pepper.

I need to go to A and check my list of purchases in order to see which one I bought.

i guess you have not had stomach issues with the one you take?

I will try and thanks for the info!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Be sure the tumeric is standardized up to 95% some brands are not, and it should contain 5 mg of Bioperine, 900 mg. I also take Vitacost brand, get large 240 size for $67, but today is 20% off. 

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@SilleeMee 

One time I did try Tumeric w/black pepper.

I need to go to A and check my list of purchases in order to see which one I bought.

i guess you have not had stomach issues with the one you take?

I will try and thanks for the info!

@LTT1 

I always take turmeric supps with food. In the beginning when I first started taking it I made the mistake of taking it on an empty stomach...not good and never again. I was having terrible belching and heartburn...just awful! Live and learn.Smiley Happy