Honored Contributor

Re: Request regarding my sciatica.

Looks like you are finally getting some decent help. All the meds should help with pain relief. You were lucky to find people that know what they are doing and want to help you. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative....good to read that you are getting some help for this awful condition. I hope and pray that you will be feeling like yourself again as soon as possible.

Keep us posted as I really understand, having been through it recently, how truly painful sciatica can be.Heart

Honored Contributor

@sfnative You may want to try 1/2 of the pain killers at first and find they will do.  They gave me a searing, sickening headache for 3 days and I only used them for 2 days.

I would go ahead and get that gel belt that can be frozen or heated.  At least you won't have a bag of water seep all over you.

Amazon  $22.00

Pain Relief Flexible Ice Pack for Injuries by TheraPAQ | Hot & Cold Therapy Reusable Gel Pack/Heat Wrap - Great for Back, Waist, Shoulder, Neck, Ankle, Knee and Hip (Large Pack:14" X 6")

Honored Contributor

@sfnative So glad you had a good doctor's visit and were given  some meds for the pain.

I had a back injury years ago, I THOUGHT I was in horrible pain, could not stand up straight, could not even wear long pants, it was as if my spine had twisted....come to find out I had sprained my pelvis working in the yard!! and it was twisted to the right, I had to wear dresses all summer.

Anyway it was an entire summer of healing but my pain could not have been at the level you have endured.....I hope you are feeling a tad bit better tonight.  Hopefully things will begin to look up for you. Take care.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative 

Hi sfnative...I have been reading periodically about your issues and fully understand the pain as I too suffer from sciatica.   When living in Los Angeles in 2000 I had back surgery, a fusion which didn't take.   A second surgery via a new ortho doctor who put screws in my back also didn't work.  He suggested a third surgery, removing the screws which to this day I wish I had said NO.  Long story short I can't walk long distances because my back spasms and it becomes too painful to walk.  The sciatic pain is, as you know  excruciating and I am fortunate to have a pain medication, oxycodone in a much larger dosage than your 5mg.

In 2015 I fell, broke my right hip and had surgery which exacerbated my back and caused even more sciatic pain.  It was suggested by a physical therapist that I have bursitis at the location of the hip surgery but so far after numerous ex-rays it doesn't show.  In the meantime the pain that shoots up and down the right leg is excruciating.

I am very glad that you are getting relief from your pain medication...I know the pain you suffered and no one can imagine it unless they have lived it.  I pray you will continue to improve, you have gone through so much for so long.  Living with pain 24/7 drains a person so again, I will continue to pray for you.  

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

So sorry you are going through this.  I know it can be very painful.  Hope you get some relief soon.  It's probably right up there on the list of pain to go through.  All my best for you.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sfnative, wow, I didn’t realize you were a nurse and super knowledgeable!  Sounds like you have a good plan in place.  Wellness prayers 🙏🙏 to Sfnative, Trinity and others suffering- It will get better... but never be 100% (IMO) .  

To the rest of us, be careful with repetition motion and those ambitious DIY projects, and gardening!   I ruptured my disc doing a DIY painting job myself, crouching, twisting at same time for > 6 hours. Even though I workout and stay in shape,  I understand crouching-twisting is the biggest risk physically to the spine, so be careful !   I must brag a little, my faux painted brick wall came out fabulous!!  Was it worth it? Nope. I ruined my back. 

Honored Contributor

@sfnativeRebecca, How are you now?  You should certainly be receiving some relief or the phones need to be ringing again.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@sfnative,  Forgive my late arrival to your thread.   I've found it hard to read or post here as often as before, and when I'm here I try to catch up.   Dear, lovely lady...  you've been through so much.   You have been on my prayer list for a long time, and I think of you daily.   You have a fabulously generous, gracious group of people on this thread with you, and everyone is here to listen, send prayers and positive energy, offer support and love to you.   Genuine, caring friends.   I so often wish all of us were closer in geographic proximity, and that we could really be there, in person, to help in any way we could.   (((gentle hugs)))   Please take good and gentle care of yourself, Rebecca.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@sfnative   How did you appointments go?  I continue to pray for you and hope things are looking a bit brighter now.