Honored Contributor

Re: Report that lack of vitamin D can...

I take about 7000 IU daily.  

Honored Contributor

I take D3 daily (5,000) along with K2, and I eat a handful of pistachios or a spoon of peanut butter because you're supposed to take it with fat. 

That's what I've read, that's what I've heard, but who knows if I got that mixed up somehow.  But that's what I do.

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I take D3 daily (5,000) along with K2, and I eat a handful of pistachios or a spoon of peanut butter because you're supposed to take it with fat. 

That's what I've read, that's what I've heard, but who knows if I got that mixed up somehow.  But that's what I do.

Are you taking them in softgel form? They are in soybean oil. Not sure if that's enough or not.

I know what you mean about taking something with fat but I can't remember what it is.

Esteemed Contributor

My Vit D level was low also, and my Cardio prescribed 6 Vitamin D2 1.25MG (50,000 UNIT) to be taken once a week for 6 weeks.  Then, come back for blood work.  I have two more to take and then I'll go in and have the blood work done.  They are small green gel pills.

Imagine, I live in Florida and don't get enough sun???  He said Vit D is good for the bones and heart.....

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Several years ago it was discovered on routine labs that I had extremely low vit D levels. I was given a Rx and checked again in a month. I was WNL (within normal limits) THEN, but not by a lot.

I did quite a bit of reading up on vit D and decided that for many reasons I never want to be low again. It's necessary for so many things, and lack of it affects many important brain and body functions. I take 5000 IU per day. It's cheap.

And for those who heap scorn on those who are low in vit D and crack "just go out in the sun" - well, hopefully they won't express their ignorance in this thread as they have in similar threads. As we age, the body loses the ability to both hold onto and absorb vit D, whether in pill form or from the sun. Add to that medications one might be taking which might have an effect on absorption, and people can easily be walking around clueless, without symptoms, because they have o reason to suspect anything's wrong.

@Moonchilde you're right.  Add that to the SPF in creams we use.  SPF blocks the ability for the sun to provide vitamin D.  It is an essential hormone that we need and yes, at least 30 minutes a day in the sun should suffice for many, but not older folk.....

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

My Vit D level was low also, and my Cardio prescribed 6 Vitamin D2 1.25MG (50,000 UNIT) to be taken once a week for 6 weeks.  Then, come back for blood work.  I have two more to take and then I'll go in and have the blood work done.  They are small green gel pills.

Imagine, I live in Florida and don't get enough sun???  He said Vit D is good for the bones and heart.....

These were prescribed for me too.  

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

That's exactly how it was with me, @sophiamarie - same green pill gels, same dose. And I lived in LA at the time, so yeah, plenty of sun there. And I walked about 5-6 blocks a day to and from my car...in the sunlight. Plus out at weekends.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

A doctor I know gave me info on an app to track Vitamin D. It determines, based on your location, the next time you could absorb Vit D, as part of it is based on the angle of the sun. Here in Alaska, the sun angle is low in the winter and there's little opportunity to get D. The app is: dminder (free).

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@maestra And @Lipstickdiva -

When I was given the Rx by my doctor it was for vit D2, because for some odd reason, vit D3 (which is the form sold everywhere and is much better absorbed by the body than D2) is the only form insurance will pay for. My doctor said she does it that way because she knows that if she just tells someone to start taking vit D most people probably will blow it off and not bother, but if she writes a Rx people will take it seriously; I think she's right.

There are all sorts of doses but as 5,000 IU is the recommended max per day, I buy that - one pill per day instead of trying to remember multiple smaller doses. I have never had a single "toxic" side effect from "too much."

I just buy the ones in CVS, either theirs or Nature's Bounty, that are usually 2 for the price of 1.

@Moonchilde, I'm not sure what my RX is because it just says Vitamin D on the label. 

I recently started taking Andrew Lessman's Essentials Complete which has 2,000 IUs of Vitamin D in it and it is Vitamin D3.  I'm hoping that is enough but if it's not, I'll take another OTC supplement. 

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

I just had my annual exam last week.  My doctor, for the first time, said I should have my Vitamin D checked. 

Imagine my surprise when I saw on MyChart, my Vitamin D level is 8.3.  I'm horrified that it's so low.  I'm curious what he's going to tell me about it when I talk to him tomorrow.

I want to find out exactly what mine was.  My new doctor is sort of in between practices and her office isn't running very efficiently.  I'm hoping that changes when she's in a permanent office in November.

Anyhow, in the past I always saw all of my results via a website or they were mailed to me.  This time I received a call from her office and nothing more, so while I was told everything except my Vitamin D came back ok, I don't know what the numbers were.

Oh and they also did a blood glucose test on me but my doctor told me not to worry about fasting.  I ran to have everything done after work.  My reading came back at 115 and the girl that called me was insistent it should have been under 100.  I told her I didn't fast and she still insisted it should have been under 100.  I just told her okay and hung up.  I wasn't going further because I know she's wrong.  LOL