Respected Contributor

Report that lack of vitamin D can...

contribute to likelihood of MS - also taking Vitamin D if you have MS can help reduce the recurrence of relapses.  Do you take enough Vitamin D?  The more reports I see on the good effects of Vitamin D, I think it should be something that is routinely checked during annual checkups.  A co-worker was vegan and she went for an annual exam and he said he had never seen anyone with such a low level of Vitamin D in their system.  I take it regularly with my vitamins (800 mg) and then take another 1,000 mg a couple of times a week, plus I'm outside every day walking dogs. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Report that lack of vitamin D can...

I take Vitamin D every day, and my doctor also checks my levels with my annual blood work.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal If you research Vit D you will see it contributes to a lot of problems if you are low.

I take 5500 IU per day. I have mine checked every year when I have my thyroid checked. Mine is over 60 ng/ml

My sisters doctor told her her Vit D was non-existent. She thought she would just take the pills the doctor prescribed & that would be it. I told her she has to take it every day.

download.png

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I first got my blood checked for vitamin D level it was so low that it didn't even show up on the graph. My doc immediately wrote me a rx for 45,000 IU to be taken once a week for several weeks then get  my levels checked again. It went up but still not enough so I continued the mega doses until the level was within optimal range. Now I take 5000 IU 3x weekly to maintain that healthy level and I get it checked every couple of years. It's one of those vitamins that is stored in the fat cells and liver cells so caution is taken when ingesting this vitamin.

There's a whole slew of diseases and conditions that have been associated with low levels of vitamin D. It's astounding. There have been reports stating that nearly 70% of the US population is vitamin D deficient.

Esteemed Contributor

My Vitamin D was low too.  I was taking some, but not enough.  My doctor wanted me to take 5000 units everyday.  Then I heard one of those Vitamin infomercials on the radio.  The symptoms the guy described from low Vitamin D were exactly what I was feeling. So I ordered their Vitamin D and have been taking it for a few weeks now.  I already feel better.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
New Contributor

my dr. Prescribed vit D bc my levels were so low. I took the D for a year & brought my levels up.  During that year I had bad depression & suicidal thoughts this happened every time I took vitamins!!  I even started getting the B12 shots due to low levels. Instead of having more energy I was more lethargic, had no desire to do anything.  I quit both of the prescribed vitamins & I feel much much better!! When I explained this to my dr, she said she has never heard of vitamins effecting a person like this, but I know what it did to me.  Just wondering if anyone else has been effected by vitamins like this??  Would be nice to know that I'm not alone in this!  Thanks so much for replies or help with this problem.

Respected Contributor

@Lexi859 wrote:

my dr. Prescribed vit D bc my levels were so low. I took the D for a year & brought my levels up.  During that year I had bad depression & suicidal thoughts this happened every time I took vitamins!!  I even started getting the B12 shots due to low levels. Instead of having more energy I was more lethargic, had no desire to do anything.  I quit both of the prescribed vitamins & I feel much much better!! When I explained this to my dr, she said she has never heard of vitamins effecting a person like this, but I know what it did to me.  Just wondering if anyone else has been effected by vitamins like this??  Would be nice to know that I'm not alone in this!  Thanks so much for replies or help with this problem.

@Lexi859 - I have had friends who say they get really sick when they take vitamins and choose not to - so I guess they affect people differently.

New Contributor

Thanks for your reply!  That is so true we are individuals we never know how our bodies will respond to supplements or meds. Just wish I could take vits.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Several years ago it was discovered on routine labs that I had extremely low vit D levels. I was given a Rx and checked again in a month. I was WNL (within normal limits) THEN, but not by a lot.

I did quite a bit of reading up on vit D and decided that for many reasons I never want to be low again. It's necessary for so many things, and lack of it affects many important brain and body functions. I take 5000 IU per day. It's cheap.

And for those who heap scorn on those who are low in vit D and crack "just go out in the sun" - well, hopefully they won't express their ignorance in this thread as they have in similar threads. As we age, the body loses the ability to both hold onto and absorb vit D, whether in pill form or from the sun. Add to that medications one might be taking which might have an effect on absorption, and people can easily be walking around clueless, without symptoms, because they have o reason to suspect anything's wrong.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As a retired medical lab analyst I know that there has been, in the past, problems with establishing reliable testing methods to determine vitamin D levels in blood. I believe many of the test methods used today have not significantly been proven to be more reliable. This is a major concern of many clinicians today and has contributed to it's absence in a routine annual blood checkup. It's just that the technology has not made any improvements in the type of testing that is used. Results can be vastly misleading, especially if they are borderline high or low. Just be aware of the results you obtain and if you question it then seek out another lab to do the test.