Contributor

Replacement knee surgery in the elderly

My mother is 86. She is having knee replacement surgery next week. She has had many health issues over the years..open heart surgery, breast cancer and many other problems. Fortunately my stepdad is 75 and in good shape. She is supposed to be in the hospital 2 days. I can't help because I'm living with my own health issues, Lyme, etc. I am terrified of her going through this, but she is in a lot of pain. I read that 25% of surgeons won't do this surgery on people over 80. She has refused to walk with a cane for years and she has taken falls. (she's very vain) and she shuffles along. Unfortunately, we don't have a big family, just me and my sister, who works, had back surgery last year that hasn't been successful. Our family is not a close loving family. ( I spent many years in counseling over a terrible childhood) But I guess my question is...has anyone else dealt with knee surgery in the elderly? I know that physical therapy will come to her house. But my mother I believe is naive about this whole process. Any knowledge or advice would be appreciated. I am afraid this might be the beginning of the end, esp., with her history. Thanks.