Honored Contributor

Re: Regeneron announced their antibody cocktail reduced viral levels and improved symptoms

It's similar to getting a gamma globulin shot...same principal.

Honored Contributor

Re: Regeneron announced their antibody cocktail reduced viral levels and improved symptoms

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

Unfortunately, right now, it is not available to the general public except for compassionate use.

Unfortunately, we do not know if this cocktail will be FREE, covered by health insurance or affordable for the uninsured.

@Mz iMac Monoclonalantibodues are very expensive to because they are more difficult to make than many drugs. 

Honored Contributor

@fresh kitty wrote:

I was watching the news and it was said that Regeneron cocktail is made up of two synthetic pharmaceuticals and to use it have to file a compassionate use because it's still considered a experimental drug.

It is experimental. To get it, doctors have to apply to the company under what's called compassionate use. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac @Some good news. The governments Operation Warp Speed has invested 450 million in Regeneron to produce up to 300,00 doses by the end of the year which will be distributed to Americans free. This information is coming from the article I noted in my OP  from the journal Science.

Regeneron has also partnered with Roche to speed up production to produce an additional 250,00 doses per month.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

Unfortunately, right now, it is not available to the general public except for compassionate use.

Unfortunately, we do not know if this cocktail will be FREE, covered by health insurance or affordable for the uninsured.

@Mz iMac   I've read that it costs about $100,000 to treat a patient, hardly a practical solution.  Probably none of your options.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Mindy D 

I don’t post links, but a search of

MIT Review 10/7 ought to do it.

@Drythe Thanks, I read it. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

It's similar to getting a gamma globulin shot...same principal.

@SilleeMee 

I had IVIG (Gamma Globulin) infusions for three years,

it was made from donated plasma.

I took myself off of it AMA, and have been Very fortunate.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

That's wonderful @Drythe . Are you still deficient do you know?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

• @sydsgma1 wrote:

I just read that this antibody cocktail was created from fetal cells . 
    interesting...

@sydsgma1 @The fetal cell line was used in the preliminary development  of the treatment by the company. The fetal cells were obtained from a cell line from 1972. 

The company used the cells as a way to mimic the spike protein of the SARS CoV2 virus.. Researchers then used these proteins to test the potency of antibodies found in COVID -19 patients or in the mice with a human-like immune systems. Once this part of development process was over the company selected antibodies for the cocktail to use for mass production from non-fetal cells. 

In other words, fetal tissue is not used in the production of the antibody cocktail at all. One antibody comes from a human that recovered from COVID-19. It's a B cell that makes the antibody and it was harvested from the recovered person's blood. Its genes for the immune protein were isolated and then copied. The second antibody comes from a mouse that was engineered to posesss a human immune system which had the viruses spike protein injected into it. Both antibodies bind to a region on the surface spike of the virus that helps it attach to human receptor cells.

My information is derived from the journal Science, October 5, 2020

Respected Contributor

Sydsgma wrote:

I just read that this antibody cocktail was created from fetal cells . 
interesting...

This is part of a recent article from Science Magazine. I'm not able to post the link.

Did Regeneron use aborted fetal cells to make the monoclonal antibodies that the president received?  

'No. Although the monoclonal antibodies infused into the antibody cocktail were not made from or in fetal cells, Regeneron did develop that treatment with the help of a long-lived line of cells established from the kidneys of a fetus electively aborted in the Netherlands around 1972. The company relied on those widely used cells, known HEK-293 cells, to make mimics of the coronavirus spike protein. Researchers used these proteins to test the potency of antibodies found in COVID-19 patients or made in mice with a humanlike immune system . The antibodies selected for the company’s cocktail, however, were then mass produced in nonfetal cells. The creation of the humanized mice also did not rely on HEK-293 cells or other cells from aborted fetuses or human embryos. Regeneron scientists detail their methods in the supplementary material to this paper published in Science in August."