Esteemed Contributor

I've been reading up on reflexology and it's so interesting. Our feet have a lot to do with our full body health. Anyway, wanted to pass along something for those that suffer from restless leg syndrome. My massage therapist told me that the soles of our feet absorb differently (better) than skin on other parts of our body. I had some Magnesium Oil which I'd purchased last year for RLS and applied to my legs as instructed. Not much success, so I put it away. A week ago, I got it back out and began applying it to the soles of my feet every night and have slept like a baby. I used to struggle for two and three hours every night with leg cramps, etc. I hope the results last. Heart

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I've had two reflexology sessions.  I have neuropathy in my toes from chemo.  It felt good while being done.  One of the places also does acupuncture on the feet.  I want to try that.

Honored Contributor

I studied reflexology and actually was able to practice the art on the public. After much practice and feed back from clients, I came to the conclusion that it was a wonderful form of relaxation and any physical benefit was short lived at best.

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99  There's no denying that a foot massage is the best. When you worked on someone was it to alleviate an issue that the client was experiencing? And, thus, there was no improvement? I'm just curious.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

@pattypeep Thanks for the tip!  I only get restless arms/legs once every few months, but when I do - OH BOY!  It's miserable.  Do you think if I used the magnesium oil at the onset, it would still help?  I don't want to have to use it every day, since the problem is so occasional.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Valued Contributor

I had my six month cancer check last week and the doctor said I have radiation neuropathy in my hand would reflexogy help with this?

Honored Contributor

@pattypeep yes, they came in search of relief from all sorts of maladies. I prefaced the treatment with the fact that the reflexology was to meant to relax them so their body could better accept the treatment they were receiving from their doctors. I didn't want them to think the reflexology was going cure anything, I don't believe it does IMO. Yes, people did get relief from issues like aches and pains and it was a terrific tension reliever. I had so many people wanting reflexology for sinus problems, I would do the treatment and then sell them a neti pot.LOL

Trusted Contributor

There is no science to back this up.  There is not one single double-blind study to show that reflexology is effective at all.  It, like somany other "alternative" therapies only exists because gullible people buy into it.

Esteemed Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

@pattypeep Thanks for the tip!  I only get restless arms/legs once every few months, but when I do - OH BOY!  It's miserable.  Do you think if I used the magnesium oil at the onset, it would still help?  I don't want to have to use it every day, since the problem is so occasional.

JMO, but I would wait until I become symptomatic, then give it a shot. One of my friends just uses it when she feels the leg aches coming. She believes it helps. I use it every night (for now) because I have serious leg aches and charlie horses every night.

Esteemed Contributor

@granny me wrote:

I had my six month cancer check last week and the doctor said I have radiation neuropathy in my hand would reflexogy help with this?

@granny me, why don't you check with your Dr.? I am also a cancer survivor and often wonder how many of my problems are a result of eight months of chemo and 35 radiation treatments. God bless you and prayers to you for continued good health.