Respected Contributor

Recs for Good tasting Lo salt Beef Bone Broth

[ Edited ]

Does anyone use a powered beef bone broth that is lo sodium, has at least 10g protein and taste good hot? I'm currently using Consult Beaute's bone broth. It's  very high in sodium(550mg) and only has 7g protein but the beef taste is delicious! I have a cup before bed and find it very soothing. I sometimes have it during the day. I find it curbs my appetite. I don't want to make my own!  

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Contributor

Re: Recs for Good tasting Lo salt Beef Bone Broth

I use several different kinds..for appetite suppression.I hadn't thought about using it before bed.  I will check the ones that I use, and if any are lower in sodium, I'll get back to you.I'm pretty sure that they are higher in protein.However, these are prepared..liquid. I have used one powdered, but haven't recently. I can say that , alhtough I seldom shop at Walmart, their make is very good tasting. and very cheap.LOL I really like their  beef., but chicken is good, too. I'll check the sodium.

Valued Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

Does anyone use a powered beef bone broth that is lo sodium, has at least 10g protein and taste good hot? I'm currently using Consult Beaute's bone broth. It's  very high in sodium(550mg) and only has 7g protein but the beef taste is delicious! I have a cup before bed and find it very soothing. I sometimes have it during the day. I find it curbs my appetite. I don't want to make my own! 

Hope this  helps you out as  I watch my salt intake and saw the amount in the Consult Beaute's bone broth so I never ordered. But recent!y saw on the Q a brand called LONO LIFE they only had the regular bone broth on the show . But I  went on their website and see they do sell a lower and a  reduced sodium  bone broth. Haven't tried any yet but plan to order directly from their website.

Honored Contributor

Kettle and Fire has many delicious options.  It's pricey, but worth it.  It's not always available locally, but can be ordered online and there are quantity and auto-ship discounts. 

Super Contributor

Does anyone know how to make their own....Bone Broth...?

Honored Contributor

@TVLand wrote:

@TVLand I have never done it myself.  To do it right, the bones first need to be roasted, then simmered for a long time, like 12 hrs., to release the collagen. Then skim the crud from the top before dividing into storage containers. Instant Pot recipes are not true bone broth.

Respected Contributor

@Mimi NY 

They do have the lo salt here, M68159 and also on Amazon but the reviews for taste are not good. Consult's is delicious for sipping hot. I don't want to add it to anything. I use collagen for that. Thank you for your suggestion!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@TVLand wrote:

@TVLand I have never done it myself.  To do it right, the bones first need to be roasted, then simmered for a long time, like 12 hrs., to release the collagen. Then skim the crud from the top before dividing into storage containers. Instant Pot recipes are not true bone broth.

We don't make it anymore, it's too time consuming but use to roast bones to make a beef broth for minestrone soup.  They will stink your house out and after a while the smell starts to become nauseating.  

Respected Contributor

Having started an eating program to lose a few lbs (5 :2) that calls for very low cal 2 days , I have found bone broth a godsend for staving off hunger pains. It is also very good for you.My mother used to make it all of the time. Of course back then the butchers would frequently give bones away. Now they are hard to find where I shop and pricey. Oxtails are the most favorful IMO but hard to locate and expensive.

I just throw mine into a crock pot for a couple of days--adding water if necessary--on low. As stated by another poster it can get smelly , especially in humid weather. In that case I set it close to a kitchen window with a small fan exhausting the odor or plug in an air purifier. I even drain off the broth after a cpl. of days and give it another go round. I add celery , green peppers , & onion to mine . Just slowly cook the heck out of it. Of course making your own one has control over sodium content.

As bonitajoy I found Wal-Mart's beef bone broth tasty and not as $$ as other brands . 

Honored Contributor

My friend made bone broth and it took her 2 days from start to finish--not sure how she did it. I know you can make it in a pressure cooker too. I haven't tried it. and not had any from the store either.