Frequent Contributor

Recovery time after trigger finger surgery

After putting up with a very painful trigger finger (my left ring finger) for months now, I'm ready to go back to the doctor and tell him to do the surgery. I tried one injection of cortisone, but the effects only lasted about a month. Rather than waste more money on another one or two injections that probably won't last either, I'd rather get a permanent solution by having the surgery.

What I'd like to know from those of you who have had this surgery is how long did it take before you could use the hand that was operated on. I asked this doctor's nurse, and she said it could be a few weeks. If it takes that long to be able to use your hand, I'm not sure if I can go ahead and have the surgery done. My problem is that my right wrist can get rather painful if I use it too much. As long as I can use both hands (although I can only use the thumb and the first two fingers of my left hand to do anyting), my right wrist doesn't bother me. But if I would have to do EVERYTHING exclusively with the right hand because of the surgery on the left, the right would get very, very painful, and then I don't know what I'd do. Grow a third hand? {#emotions_dlg.lol} Would love to know others' recovery times. Thanks!