Honored Contributor

I have had the flu shot every year of my adult life, last year I had the flu and was as sick as a dog.

I have a compromised immune system and still get the shot 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I find it difficult to believe,some one has never had the flu for their entire life,with raising kids,having a  husband,or wife,once one of us got the flu back  our time of kids,and all we all got the flu.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

It's silly to blame your "two weeks of being sick" on your last flu shot. The vaccine is not a live virus! I just can't understand the reasoning of not getting a vaccine to prevent one from getting sick. Woman Frustrated

Not silly...... It is silly not too.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

On the advice of my dr I don't get a flu shot because of my auto immune disorder. 

What concerns me is that people get their immunizations on the advice of advertising and not a consult with their dr.

What's new this year is the appearance of a new heavy duty flu shot for those over 65. The marketing is well, more is better!

@Snowpuppy. You are a wealth of MISinformation!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I've been getting email reminders to get a flu shot - and this morning it occurred to me:

Why?  We are wearing masks and social distancing.  Why do we need a flu shot?

Last year, I was feeling awful for two weeks after the shot - and I've been putting off getting the shot. 

There have been a couple of years I got both the flu shot and the (diagnosed by doctor) flu, and the flu didn't last as long as the side-effects of last year's shot.

If you are over 65, they give you a higher dose flu shot so it is effective. A friend of mine who is over 65 experienced symptoms from the flu shot this year due to the higher dose. She never had problems in past years. An older person does not respond enough at a regular dosage to protect them.

There is a website named seniorflushot that details the need for a higher dosage.

My mother had a severe case of flu in the 1990s that caused her to be put on a ventilator for 3 weeks. At the time she was 65. Luckily she survived.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I find it difficult to believe,some one has never had the flu for their entire life,with raising kids,having a  husband,or wife,once one of us got the flu back  our time of kids,and all we all got the flu.

@goldensrbest 

my ex husband never had the flu but began to get flu shots a few years ago. my s/o does not get flu shots and has never had the flu according to him. my children have never had the flu. i have never had the flu. this past year i took care of my mother who, as i said, had a severe case that lasted over a month.....and i did not get the flu from her. i rarely even get colds and if i do it really is not more than once a year.

cdc: The proportion of people who get sick from flu varies. A paper published in CID found that between 3% and 11% of the U.S. population gets infected and develops flu symptoms each year.

nih: Approximately 9% of the world's population is affected annually.

webmd: 5% to 20% -- Percentage of the U.S. population that will get the flu, on average, each year.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

My mom has passed now but there was a time that I was her caregiver in my home.  Because her doctor said she needed the yearly flu shot, I'd take her to get it and she would get a little sick afterwards.  Being the hypocrite that I was, I never got one.  Why?  My rationale was that I had to feel well to go to work and come home assist in her needs.

Even when I caught the flu once, I still didn't get it.

At age 70, I finally got one because I wanted to volunteer at a hospital and it was required.  I'm 73 now and have had three.  Soreness at site of the needle....nothing else.  Oh, a few sniffles.

Guess what?  Now I'm afraid to go without having one yearly.  Regular one, not the senior one.  This year, more than ever, I was determined to get one.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Re: Reconsidering Flu Shot

[ Edited ]

DH and I went to get our senior strength flu shots yesterday at our local pharmacy.   Everything went well...we had appointments so there were no other people waiting.  The only thing I did not like was that the doctor (or nurse) that gave the shot was really close to us.  They give the shots in a small closet type of room...of course we all masks on....but I did not like being so close in such a tight space getting the shot.  

My arm is only sore just a bit IF I touch the area....other than that no side effects at all.  In two weeks we will go for our pneumonia shots. I like to space out vaccinations. 

Esteemed Contributor

@firestorm wrote:

Think about this: with the virus, the third wave of the infection in the US now, hospital ICU's full, some have set up tents, wards to care for the overflow. Some are going to have to ration care. What does that mean?

When they look at an elderly person, you may be the one they select to forgo care. Especially if they see you didn't even care enough about your health to get a flu shot in 2020. Think about that.

@firestorm "Care enough about your health?"  This is a personal decision and what is right for one person, another person may be uncomfortable with for one reason or another.  Just because someone does not get a flu shot does not mean they "don't care about their health."

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

DH and I went to get our senior strength flu shots yesterday at our local pharmacy.   Everything went well...we had appointments so there were no other people waiting.  The only thing I did not like was that the doctor (or nurse) that gave the shot was really close to us.  They give the shots in a small closet type of room...of course we all masks on....but I did not like being so close in such a tight space getting the shot.  

My arm is only sore just a bit IF I touch the area....other than that no side effects at all.  In two weeks we will go for our pneumonia shots. I like to space out vaccinations. 

@SeaMaiden I hate to break it to you but if you went to the pharmacy for your flu shot it was most likely the pharmacist that administered it, not a doctor or nurse.