Respected Contributor

Recommendations for essential oil brands

[ Edited ]

Other than Young Living and DoTERRA, what are some brands you can recommend that are 100% pure oils and processed in the way they should be (steam or cold-pressed, for example)?  I have read so much online that my head is spinning.  For every person who says brand x is the best, I'll find someone else saying brand x isn't.  I am particularly wanting info on the following brands:

1) Spark Naturals

2) Bulk Apothecary

3) Aura Cacia (available to me locally)

4) Edens Garden

5) Veriditas (available to me locally)

6) NOW (available to me locally)

I don't care at all to pay more as I know they won't serve their purpose if they're not strong enough or processed correctly.  They do not have to be organic...just pure, not cut with anything (unless it's specified), and some type of quality assurance.

Also...another question...I see that most brands have blends already created.  Is there a benefit to buying those over making a similar blend on my own?  (Maybe if I don't want to invest in all the individual oils to make a similar product?)

Coming tomorrow from Amazon is a highly-rated diffuser, roller bottles w/metal balls,  and jojba oil (100% pure, organic).  What else do I need as a beginner and what oils should I purchase to get started?

Thank you for any and all information!

Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendations for essential oil brands

[ Edited ]

I buy my oils from Pipingrock dot com. On their website most of their oils have a full description of how it's made and what part(s) of the plant is used in the process. I find their prices to be very competitive and the quality is outstanding.

I use a nubulizing type diffuser made by Advanced Aromatherapy. It's the only way to diffuse IMO.

419yR8D3ZHL._AC_UL246_SR190,246_.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg,

I like to recommend this book. It's a good book for anyone exploring the world of EOs. You can find it on amazon or ebay for a very low cost. 

51rWQDqzLHL._AC_UL320_SR202,320_.jpg

About starting your collection of oils...in this book you will find each chapter is about the different aspects of your life. For example, chapter 6 is all about beauty and it tells you what oils are involved and how to use them. There are 18 chapters in this book, over 400 pages of great info. Each chapter is different and different oils are mentioned for each need. 

This book will help guide you in your exploration of oils. HTHWoman Happy

Respected Contributor

As always, @SilleeMee, I appreciate your thorough response.  I will check out that oil website.  I also appreciate the info about the diffuser.  I read "somewhere" that the nebulizer-type diffusers were best, but they are pricey.  I ordered a cool-mist diffuser, but if I use it like I think I will, I will move it to another room and get a nebulizer.  Thank you so much for the recommendations on oils, book, and diffuser!  I will get that book.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee, book is purchased!  Smiley Happy  Thanks, again, and if you think of other advice for me, please let me know.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is one thing @Ainhisg....about your cool-mist diffuser. I own one version of that kind and I found that it consumes a lot of oil. As you probably have noticed, oils can be quite expensive depending on the type and brand. With cool-mist diffusers, you add water to a vessel then drops of EO to it. With nebulizers you don't add anything. and there is no residual clean up. Residual oil means money wasted. Just wanted to let you know how I feel about those cool-mist machines. I think they promote them because of their affordability but in the long run, they will cause you to spend more money on the oils. I think the cool-mist diffuser is a good place to start. I did the same but later bought the nebulizer.Woman Happy

Glad you got the book! 

Respected Contributor

Birch Hill Happenings is a great website for oils. Just make sure you purchase therapeudic grade oils whereever you decide to buy from. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Thank you, @reiki604.  I appreciate the additional recommendation!  (And the bump of the thread!)  Would love to have other recommendations and advice.  You can never have too much knowledge.  I'm wondering what accessories I will most likely want/need/use as a beginner.  I've received my cool-mist diffuser, cobalt roller bottles w/metal balls, and jojoba carrier oil.  I am receiving tomorrow a 5ml starter pack from Spark Naturals...lavender, lemon, peppermint, and tea tree.  Wondering about small pipettes, spray bottles, inhalers, and other things.  I've checked out two books from the library that weren't a lot of help in specifics for beginners.  I've looked online for dilution rates and see that 12 drops per ounce (2%) is considered average, but I wonder, because elsewhere, I've read it should be 1%.  Some info says to dilute oils with milk or carrier oil for a bath, which makes sense to me as you would not want the direct oils against skin, other info says to just add it to the water.  Some say to use gloves when handling essential oils, others never mention it.  It is all so confusing!  I would like to find one book that is "correct."  lol  (My plan is to err on the side of caution.)

Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

Thank you, @reiki604.  I appreciate the additional recommendation!  (And the bump of the thread!)  Would love to have other recommendations and advice.  You can never have too much knowledge.  I'm wondering what accessories I will most likely want/need/use as a beginner.  I've received my cool-mist diffuser, cobalt roller bottles w/metal balls, and jojoba carrier oil.  I am receiving tomorrow a 5ml starter pack from Spark Naturals...lavender, lemon, peppermint, and tea tree.  Wondering about small pipettes, spray bottles, inhalers, and other things.  I've checked out two books from the library that weren't a lot of help in specifics for beginners.  I've looked online for dilution rates and see that 12 drops per ounce (2%) is considered average, but I wonder, because elsewhere, I've read it should be 1%.  Some info says to dilute oils with milk or carrier oil for a bath, which makes sense to me as you would not want the direct oils against skin, other info says to just add it to the water.  Some say to use gloves when handling essential oils, others never mention it.  It is all so confusing!  I would like to find one book that is "correct."  lol  (My plan is to err on the side of caution.)

The first thing to do is to learn about the oils, their uses and their properties. Then choose a small amount (maybe 5 or so) and use them in a small oil diffuser. See how they work for you. How they make you feel energetically, physcically, etc. I really dont see the need for the expense of all the paraphernalia until you decide what you want to do with each. Oils are a complementary adjunct to many different practices. Do you want to wear oils as a balm, oil, use as a massage oil .........  

Again, start slow, learn and practice.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown