Regular Contributor

Hi all,

Need a knee scooter for three months after foot surgery.  Will likely buy one online but have read reviews on mazon and all seem to have injury potential for the user.

If anyone has a suggestion for a more safe scooter or a model you have really loved when you had a foot issue, I'd welcome your input.

Thanks, Seannie

Honored Contributor

Have you checked a local medical supply company?  You can probably go in and try various models and then arrange to rent one, rather than buy.

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine is a Dept Manager at our Dillards and she really injured her leg.  She was on one of these for about 8 weeks and said it was the best thing ever... I teased her a lot but dang she got around Dillards like a pro and had no problems with the device....  Woman LOL   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Your doctor should either be providing this or telling you where to get one before your surgery. When I had foot surgery I needed a wheelchair because they did not have those knee things yet. The doctor's office made all the arrangements for me to rent a W/C as well as sold me a sleeve to go over the cast so I could shower.

Honored Contributor

@Seannie wrote:

Hi all,

Need a knee scooter for three months after foot surgery.  Will likely buy one online but have read reviews on mazon and all seem to have injury potential for the user.

If anyone has a suggestion for a more safe scooter or a model you have really loved when you had a foot issue, I'd welcome your input.

Thanks, Seannie

@Seannie

I had to use one a few years ago. I think I had mine for four months. I rented one from a local medical supply store. You can try different models and see which one feels best to you. It was a life saver. It made it possible for me to get around.

Honored Contributor

Your doctor could probably make arrangements to RENT a device rather than buy one.  Are you sure this is what is recommend for your type of surgery?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Had one several years ago and what I didn't like about it was the turning part-needed"power steering". I think they have improved.

Respected Contributor

I've had to use one twice in 5 years.  I rented from a Medical equipment store.  I don't know how much a new one costs, but my rental was $45 a month.  If you need one for 3 months?  I would check out how much they are to purchase.  My insurance company would not pay for the rental, as I was given crutches each time.  Well, I am a disaster waiting to happen on crutches, and dangerous to anyone around me!  The learning curve on the Knee Scooter is very short, and you will have it mastered in a day or two.  Honest!   I hope you heal quickly!  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Trusted Contributor

When I had ankle surgery a couple of years ago, DH bought me a "rollator" to use.  I put my knee on the seat and scooted around on that thing.  It has 4 "legs" so I found I could balance on that much better.

I, too, absolutely cannot use crutches.  They are very painful under my arms and I am extremely clumsy on them.

He bought it at Walgreens for about $150.00 but you may find it cheaper elsewhere. 

Good luck!

Regular Contributor

Thank you all.  I was able to borrow a knee scooter from my local senior center and they just said return when you are done.  Works great.

Seannie