Honored Contributor

Re: Recliner chair/hip surgery

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@mousiegirl 

Not sure about your "I was told" comment after reading all these posts from others that have hip surgery! My inclination would be to listen to those that have experienced the surgery.

I've had doctors that have told me to do "XYZ" after an invasive procedure, and surgeries. Those doctors had never had the surgery or procedure themselves, so I am guessing they are going by some book or other patients they may have followed.

Had I followed what the doctor that did my 1st hernia surgery? It would have slowed my recovery and also extended my discomfort time when doing certain things. I did what was more comfortable, and I felt that worked much better for me. 

Low sofas or chairs I can mechanically follow, be it a knee or a hip. He!! just getting up out of and chair or sofa, never having a surgery, when your knees are even with or above your hips, it is harder for everyone, especially as one ages.

When it comes to weight bearing body parts, I would listen to those that have actually gone through the recovery. As with everything else with the human body, we are not all the same.

Just my thoughts about this topic.

hckynut  🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn  I was told by my orthopedic surgeon, and my hip is now twenty-five years old.

Super Contributor

I had posterior left hip replacement surgery 2 1/2 years ago and was told "no" to recliners.  Since my sofa, loveseat and chair are all recliners, I needed to purchase a firm straight chair to help with my restrictions of not having knees higher than hip, not sitting too low, not bending beyond 90 degrees etc.  I did as told and healed beautifully with no issues.  Doctors differ on precautions, these were some of mine.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl 

Now I understand! Surgeries done 25 years ago were much different than today's surgeries. When I had my 1st back surgery I was told not to ice skate for 6 months. I followed those instructions from my Orthopod, even though I felt I could have skated at least a couple months sooner.

My last back surgery was done completely different, but for the same spinal reason, a ruptured lumbar disc. My friend did a micro surgery and told me I could skate in 6-8 weeks, which I did.

I have a 9" scar on my back from surgery #1, and a 2" scar from surgery #2.  

Glad you explained how long ago you had your hip surgery, now I completely get it.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Make sure whatever you decide that the chair supports your feet in the reclining position.  

My husband bought a cheap reclining sofa and chair at Bob's - it was delivered yesterday and I have to scheme a way to return it for something better.  When I recline the bottom stops above my ankles and my feet dangle in the air - it puts stress on my hips and spine.

Good luck with your surgery!

Respected Contributor

my recliner was great for my post-hip surgery. i put a flat-ish foam bed pillow under my ankles to keep stress off the spine.

you'd have to forcefully take my recliner from me as i'd hang on to kicking and screaming!!!   it's not the most stylish. it's a comfy,  lived-in squeaky old burgundy leather wing style. Olde English Library vibe.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn   Apparently it is still recommended for hip replacement to sit in a chair as the article I posted states, and I can't help but think you don't know about hip replacement because you havn't had one. I have nothing more to say on the subject.  It worked for me.  I just followed instructions.

My surgeon did not believe in physical therapy either, so gave me exercises to do in bed, and I know many would not agree, must have been ahead of his time.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cookie16 wrote:

I had posterior left hip replacement surgery 2 1/2 years ago and was told "no" to recliners.  Since my sofa, loveseat and chair are all recliners, I needed to purchase a firm straight chair to help with my restrictions of not having knees higher than hip, not sitting too low, not bending beyond 90 degrees etc.  I did as told and healed beautifully with no issues.  Doctors differ on precautions, these were some of mine.

@cookie16  I thought that a straight chair would put too much pressure on your hip. Glad it worked for you.

I used a recliner for my two Cervical Spine Fusions and it was a lot more comfortable than the bed while wearing a foot ball helmet ( that's the only way to describe it)  lol.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

@hckynutjohn   Apparently it is still recommenedd for hip replacement to sit in a chair as the article I posted states, and I can't help but thinking you don't know about hip replacement because you havn't had one. I have nothing more to say on the subject.  It worked for me.  I just followed instructions.

My surgeon did not believe in physical therapy either, so gave me exercises to do in bed, and I know many would not agree, must have been adhead of his time.

@mousiegirl 

I understand. I won't address you in any of my further comments in this thread. I will however address 1 comment you made in your above reply.

In my original post I did say "I have not had this surgery". That however is not to say, and I quote you, "I can't help but thinking you don't know about hip replacement because you haven't had one".

Knowing about this topic and experiencing it, to me, are 2 different things. I do know about hip replacements from what I have read/clinics I have attended, and also from 1 of my hockey player friends.

He specializes in that surgery. He is an Orthopedic Surgeon that does only hip and knee replacements and/or repair in his Group Practice.

He did my wife's TKR about 2 years ago. And he also did repair to an, older than myself, lady figure skating friend. She eventually needed a TKR, which he also performed on her.

I will leave it at that and will not address you in any further comments in this specific thread.  Peace!✌

hckynut   🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I have not had hip surgery, but I have had neck fusion. Sleeping in our bed was not possible so I slept in a recliner for many weeks.  Fortunately we already owned it so renting wasn't needed. 

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I have not had hip surgery, but I have had neck fusion. Sleeping in our bed was not possible so I slept in a recliner for many weeks.  Fortunately we already owned it so renting wasn't needed. 

@JeanLouiseFinch  same here and it was the nurse who told me about using  the recliner.