Esteemed Contributor

Recipe for Healthful, Vegetarian Snack. Love It!

Have folded the following recipe into my on-going Mayo Clinic Diet as a mid-morning snack, along with a cup of decaf with almond milk.  A thin slice is very satisfying.  Though the recipe is a "savory" one, you could easily turn it around and replace the herbs with cinnamon and a pinch of cardamom or whatever might be to your taste.  When going this route, I always add the zest of one orange as well.  Enjoy!

Nutty Carrot Flatbread

Grain-Free Veggie Bread

This bread is rather thin and dense. Pop slices into a toaster oven for crispy edges or wrap in foil for soft, warm slices and heat in a toaster oven.                Active time: 15 Minutes   Total:  1 hour

Source: Cut out of a magazine, I did not write the source on the recipe.  Will research & edit when located.

2 oz dry-roasted, unsalted almonds (about ½ cup)

3 oz unsalted pumpkin seeds (about ½ cup), toasted

2-3/4 oz dry-roasted, unsalted sunflower seed kernels (about ½ cup)

21 oz carrots (about 5 large), cut into ½ inch-thick slices

1 tsp chopped fresh oregano

½ tsp. ground cumin

½ tsp freshly ground black pepper

½ tsp sea salt

2 large eggs

2 large egg whites

1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
  2. Pulse almonds in a food processor until very finely chopped. Add pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds and pulse 5-6 times or until coarsely chopped. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Place carrots in food processor; process until very finely chopped. Add carrots and remaining ingredients to almond mixture, stirring to combine.
  3. Press carrot mixture in a thin layer onto a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400 F for 25 minutes or until bread is firm and golden. Cool in pan or wire rack. Cut bread into 12 pieces. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Serving Size: 1 slice

Calories: 139

Protein: 6g

Carb: 6g

Fiber: 2g

Sugars: 2g

Chol: 89mg

Iron: 1mg

Sodium: 140mg

Calc: 45mg

Honored Contributor

Re: Recipe for Healthful, Vegetarian Snack. Love It!

@sfnativeThis sounds delish.  I don't eat eggs, but I'll bet I could substitute applesauce.   Nice little treat, if I could resist eating too much!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I would leave out the egg yolks so it was cholesterol free.

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

Nutty Carrot Flatbread

@sfnative  This recipe is nutty, you say?

Image result for inquisitive squirrel

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I would leave out the egg yolks so it was cholesterol free.

The latest in the egg debate is that everything contained in the egg is good for you.  Even my Dr. agreed!