Honored Contributor

Received my bill $$ for my emergency room vist on February 1st

The final emergency room visit hospital bill  came to $5,460.00 for about an hour  spent  getting care with xrays and the ER Doctor getting  my shoulder popped back into place.

I ended up owing $23.00 of the total bill...  Not too bad...

I paid a separate  bill of about $27.00  on the x Rays they took. Medicare payed for most all of it. that bill... my secondary payed a smaller amount.

I may have a seperate bill coming to pay the Orthopetic  Dr I went to see  two days after the injury happened.  I  think his bill was like $260. Not sure how much Medicare and my secondary insurance will cover on his bill.

My shoulder is doing better... not yet 100 percent movement without some discomfort.  I hope in the coming months that improves to hopefully 100 percent.

Honored Contributor

Re: Received my bill $$ for my emergency room vist on February 1st

@SeaMaiden    Thanks to outstanding insurance coverage, I've never had to pay one cent for medical services since I went on Medicare.  Not even after major surgery.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SeaMaiden    Thanks to outstanding insurance coverage, I've never had to pay one cent for medical services since I went on Medicare.  Not even after major surgery.

@Kachina624    Do you have a secondary insurance along with Medicare that you pay for?  We have premera Blue Cross which costs us $711.00 a month for  for coverage forboth my Husband and myself.  Medicare is our primary and the blue cross is our secondary... 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden    I have secondary insurance but there is no cost to me.  It's one of the perks of my former employment, and quite significant if what you pay is any indication.  Wow.

Mine is currently with United Health Care.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SeaMaiden    I have secondary insurance but there is no cost to me.  It's one of the perks of my former employment, and quite significant if what you pay is any indication.  Wow.

Mine is currently with United Health Care.

@Kachina624   how wonderful you have that perk from your last job! Our secondary was covered by my Husband's  former job for about a year after he retired... but ended after a year. It is a costly expense for us in retirement..... but with medical costs so outrageous it is worth it to have it.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden    Everyone on Medicare absolutely MUST have good secondary insurance.  Otherwise one medical episode could wipe you out financially.  Medical services are just too costly these days; it can become a matter of life and death.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden Glad to hear you got your final bill. And glad  it was $23.

And also glad you are doing better.

I am still waiting for the ER bills from when I had a kidney stone. I had to wait 4+ hours before anyone (besides the Receptionist) talked or looked at me. I am not looking forward to the bills. In fact I can just imagine that they are going to be more than I ever imagined.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@SeaMaiden Glad to hear you got your final bill. And glad  it was $23.

And also glad you are doing better.

I am still waiting for the ER bills from when I had a kidney stone. I had to wait 4+ hours before anyone (besides the Receptionist) talked or looked at me. I am not looking forward to the bills. In fact I can just imagine that they are going to be more than I ever imagined.

@drizzellla   4 hours!!! OMgosh! Were you in awful pain just waiting all that time?  Are you on Medicare?  Why would you think that most of it will not be covered? You had an emergency and you needed to get help. Right? Did you end up staying in hospital for a few days?  How are you now?

Esteemed Contributor

I was surprised at how little I had to pay for an ER visit that resulted in an emergency operation and an overnight stay. So much less out of pocket than for a scheduled surgery.

I wondered if I paid less because the ER visit led to emergency surgery. I didn't want to ask because I didn't want them to go - oh wait, you owe us more. 

The planned surgery was last year before MC coverage and I maxed out the out of pocket portion. Expensive, but glad I had coverage because the bill was very high.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Hubby and I are both on Medicare and our suppleemntary is his former insurnace. We both have had majoyr surgery and paid nothing, I feel truely blessed

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.