Super Contributor
I have a question. Is valsartan now safe to take? I’m having difficulty keeping my
Bp in normal range. I’ve tried a few different
Bp meds. From calcium Channel blockers, ACE inhibitors to now ARBS. The CCB caused my ankles to blow up but it did control my bp. I switched to ACE inhibitor, licinipril. Bp didn’t budge. I’m now on ARB losartin, going from once a day to twice. Lowered it a little but not yet low enough. My dr now mentioned
valsartan, also an ARB. she says it lasts longer in the system and goes up higher in mgs.

So I just picked it up from the pharmacy. I looked it up. It was recalled for cancer causing agents! That happened 4 years ago! The manufacturer is listed on the bottle but I don’t see a lot number.

I’ll probably call the pharmacy in the morning. But in the meantime does anyway know about this and if it’s safe to take now? I know lots of you ladies are up on this kind of thing and very well informed. Maybe more so than the professionals. So I thought I’d just give it a shot and ask here.

I looked on line but all I’m getting is that it was recalled. I googled is it safe to take now. I’m not able to find a definitive answer.

Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Respected Contributor

@Ditzydori I didn't think all Valsartan was recalled, during this potential cancer causing contaminant issue. Maybe just temporarily, until they could isolate problem sources?  

I know I took brand name Diovan (Losartan) for a good while, and really liked it. I switched to Losartan, though, when Diovan didn't yet have a generic, because it was much more economical. It controls my B/P just as well. But, I don't have to take high doses for control, whereas Valsartan comes in higher doses, if needed.

Losartan has worked well. But, even Losartan has had too many recalls for various issues than I can even count, or remember. But, it was usually the combination drugs with Losartan. 

I would talk to your pharmacist about recall issues. Honestly, they often can give you more info than your doc, because drugs is all they do, so they have to be aware of any changes, or updates. If they are filling the scripts, they must feel that the benefits of the meds outweigh potential risks.

If there were serious issues that hadn't been remedied, by suppliers, I would think they would be unable to fill the scripts.

Sadly there are risks with all medications, but they can be lifesavers, too. I hope you find your answers and can get your B/P under control, so you can have a little less worry. 

Honored Contributor

@Ditzydori 

The recall situation on these BP meds has been over for quite awhile.  You should have received a letter if a previous prescription was filled with a batch of medication later identified as contaminated.   

I received letters on both Losartan and Metformin; my meds are filled thru a mail order pharmacy that handles prescriptions for veterans and their dependents.  

Contaminated foods, drinks, meds, are very concerning, and my letters are saved in my health file in the event I am ever able to participate in a class action suit against the manufacturer of these meds.  Since this is something I have absolutely no control over, I don't waste my time worrying about it.   

Super Contributor

Thanks. I'm glad to hear it's over. I kind of thought so because it was in 2018. But i wanted to check. 

Honored Contributor

I've been taking Valsartan for years. At the time of previous recalls, mine was never included in the recall group.