Honored Contributor

Re: Recall of raw imported goat meat.

I have no problem eating, cows, calves, deer or pig and lamb.  I do think I would skip the goat meal.  Mainly to their creepy eyes.  I have never cared to be around goats.  It never occured to me people actually eat those things. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I would be like i am with people eating deer, just can't do that ,with the goats i see cute little animals, i have a tough time,with seeing the calves at a farm down the road from me!

@goldensrbest    I am not vegetarian at this time....I do  eat fish and poultry... I try not to think of the poor animals and their sad lives for becoming food...Smiley Sad.

I became a vegetarian when I was about 20 years old for a couple of years... I was working at a 7th Day   Adventists  Hospital in the kitchen where they prepared a lot of vegetarian meals for the patients... and also meat meals for those that preferred meat.  I did not miss meat at all those couple of years... and learned a lot about going meatless.  Wish I had of remained a vegetarian for health reasons.. 

Honored Contributor

I don't eat animals that walk on four legs. That's where I draw the line. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden   @SilleeMee  Has a point but also,  this time of year, for some families a whole roasted lamb is tradition.

Honored Contributor

I've eaten at Indian (Punjabi) and Jamaican restaurants. Both had goat in their dishes and both were restaurants that gave you plates with a mixture of many dishes. I couldn't tell what was goat and what were other meats. 

Even though I'm not a vegetarian now I've been one before because I feel guilty eating animals. 

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Has anyone here ever had goat meat?  I haven't.  I suppose it's similar to lamb.

Costco sell huge  lamb bodies in it's freezers....rather disgusting actually. Can not imagine who  would buy it like that🤮

I've had goat meat in Africa.   Male and female goat taste and smell differently.   It's an acquired taste.

People in Africa, the Middle East, Scotland, Ireland, for instance, eat goat meat as well as lamb.   Some countries separate the meat by the way they are killed---Halal verses Haram verses Kosher.    

Esteemed Contributor

How many people really buy goat meat??

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think that the buyers of goat meat are from the cultures and countries, or descendants of  them, where goat meat is eaten as a part of the cuisine. It's big in Jamaica and India, so there are probably many that eat dishes from those cuisines. Goat meat is also popular in other countries in Asia, Africa the Middle East and in Indonesia, Mexico, Ecuador, Pakistan and parts of Italy. It can be used in curries or stews and is also baked and barbq. Some eat is as jerky or in sausage. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

Has anyone here ever had goat meat?  I haven't.  I suppose it's similar to lamb.

Never had it, and at this point, I have no desire to try it.  I would try goat's milk or yogurt. 

Do the math.
Respected Contributor

i know of some folks who like goat meat and have roasts like some have pig roasts. part of their  culture.   

i have tried goat milk. not for me. and no goat cheese either.   but we have tons of goat farms nearby and meat shops.