Honored Contributor

Recall of oral antibiotic used for C diff and MRSA. Firvanq, is vancomycin.

[ Edited ]

"Firvanq® is indicated for use in adults and pediatric patients less than 18 years of age for the treatment of: Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea and Enterocolitis caused by Staphylococcus aureus (including methicillin-resistant strains). It is packaged as a kit consisting of a bottle with Vancomycin Hydrochloride, USP powder, a bottle of Grape-Flavored diluent, and Full Prescribing Information. The product NDC is 65628-206-05 and the UPC code is 3 65628 206005 1. A total of 2,751 kits of the affected Firvanq®, lot number 21035, with an expiration date of 2022-07-31 were distributed. The product can be identified by its brand name Firvanq®. Product was distributed nationwide through wholesale distributors."FB379E47-2CC9-45EE-9012-25A7A235D451.jpeg

COMPLETE FDA RECALL INFORMATION:

https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/azurity-pharmaceuticals-inc-issu...

Honored Contributor

Re: Recall of oral antibiotic used for C diff and MRSA. Firvanq, is vancomycin.

Thanjk you Mindy, your timely updates are a great service here ....  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I've had both infections...really lousy, but I never saw that kit...just took the special antibiotic and thank goodness it worked both times, but that was several years ago. Thanks for the warning, though.

Respected Contributor

I had MRSA which I was treated for with a different antibotic but its use did lead to my getting C Diff.  Having C Diff was one of the worst illnesses I have ever had.  I got another infection 6 months later which lead to another round of C Diff.  I have to now consult an infectous disease physician before starting any antibotics.  Thanks Mindy D for the update as I will keep this medication in mind if I ever need to be treated for C Diff again. 

Trusted Contributor

I almost lost my life due to a severe C.diff. infection.  I got the infection from taking an antibiotic, which in retrospect was unnecessary.  I was prescribed it as a preventive for bacterial infection from a derm procedure.  I did not have an infection.

Do not EVER take an antibiotic for a viral infection.  Antibiotics don't work for viral infections and you could be risking your life by taking any antibiotic at any time for any reason.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.