Respected Contributor

Re: Recall of Fromm Family Foods Four Star Shredded Entree canned dog food. Levels of Vitamin D tox

@NickNack wrote:

@lovesallanimals wrote:

The company is closed today so I will call first thing tomorrow. I was afraid to give my dog this food this morning after reading this so I ran out to my local pet store and they recommened Against the Grain, Shredded Beef with Gravy.  I gave it to her and she gobbled it up so fast.  Large chunks of beef, vegetables and grain free.  However, I did not want to keep running out to the pet store (I bought the last 10 cans until they get a delivery next week) so I went online and ordered it. It is very hard to find and with shipping very expensive but I wanted to have something until this is cleared up.  She does love this new food though.  

What do you feed your pups that is grain free?  I can only give her beef or pork, no chicken. 

Never had a problem with Fromm and her check-ups are always great.   Have been using this brand for the past 5-1/2 years.

Thank you.

@lovesallanimals   I've always felt like Fromm was an excellent food, too.  This was a voluntary recall that they will correct.  Did you check the lot #'s on your cans of Fromm to see if they were among the cans that were in the recall?  You can go to frommfamily dog com to read about the recall and the affected lots.

I rely on Dog Food Advisor for information on dog foods.  They give Against The Grain five stars, which is the highest they give.  

NickNack:  Thank you for telling me this.  I will check the lot numbers now.  Dog Food Advisor is great.

Honored Contributor

Re: Recall of Fromm Family Foods Four Star Shredded Entree canned dog food. Levels of Vitamin D tox

@NickNack @I usually do post in Pet Lovers, but I wanted to see if posting here would let a wider audience see the post. There have been so few responses in Pet Lovers lately that I've been concerned. I think there are more responses than usual under Wellness. I might try to figure out a way to notify people in Pet Lovers that there is a post with full details here. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

FROMM also had a problem due to foods causing heart problems in 2019.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

FROMM also had a problem  due to foods causing heart problems in 2019.

They had a previous recall for Vitamin issues, elevated levels of Vitamin D, in March if 2016.

March 18, 2016

fromm-gold-dog-food-can-recall-2016Maker: Fromm Family Foods LLC
Cause: Inadequate levels of vitamins and minerals
Announcement: Company recall...
archived here)
What was recalled: All lots of the following 12 oz. Fromm Gold canned dog foods:

• Chicken Pate, Code #11893
  • Chicken & Duck, Code #11895
  • Salmon & Chicken Pate, Code #11891

“12 oz. cans of our new Gold canned dog food pates do not contain recommended levels of vitamins and minerals,” according to the company. “They may contain elevated levels of Vitamin D. We are recalling these products out of an abundance of caution.”

The company says, “These cans were shipped to distributors during the limited time frame from December 2015 through February 2016,” and added that no other Fromm products are being recalled at this t

The list of pet food recalls over the last few years is pretty high. Fromm is not alone. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@NickNack @I usually do post in Pet Lovers, but I wanted to see if posting here would let a wider audience see the post. There have been so few responses in Pet Lovers lately that I've been concerned. I think there are more responses than usual under Wellness. I might try to figure out a way to notify people in Pet Lovers that there is a post with full details here. 

@Mindy D   I see.  I thought you might have posted here by mistake.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau