Honored Contributor

Recall of Fromm Family Foods Four Star Shredded Entree canned dog food. Levels of Vitamin D toxic.

[ Edited ]

COMPANY ANNOUNCEMENT

Fromm Family Foods Voluntarily Recalls Four Star Shredded Entrée Canned Food for Dogs Due to Elevated Levels of Vitamin D. Distributed in neighborhoodbper stores. 51105FAD-786D-4BA8-A381-C3E067A41C6A.jpegB56F9936-90BE-403D-9E7E-4CD13AB8ABD5.jpeg300FDC6D-1769-419E-979A-B0CF63C01FD3.jpegA6F65345-4ADA-4F84-BC19-D86F4A73DFC7.jpeg

https://tools.cdc.gov/podcasts/download.asp?m=316422&c=427551

Respected Contributor

Re: Recall of Fromm Family Foods Four Star Shredded Entree canned dog food. Levels of Vitamin D tox

OMG!  This is all I give my baby.  The Beef and the Pork.  The company is closed - will call first thing tomorrow morning.  In the meantime, I am going to my pet store to get a different flavor as there is no problem switching from one to another.  Thank you so much for posting this.

Honored Contributor

Re: Recall of Fromm Family Foods Four Star Shredded Entree canned dog food. Levels of Vitamin D tox

I emailed this company about their products and risk of vitamins overdose....,and they told me that there was no chance of vitamin overdose in their line as no vitamins were added.  That all the vitamins came directly from food sources only.

I guess that statement WAS A BIG LIE😡

Honored Contributor

I do not think this is the first time they have had a recall.....beware of this company!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I do not think this is the first time they have had a recall.....beware of this company!

This is only the second time Fromm has had a recall.  The first was in 2016.

March 2016

Cause: Inadequate levels of vitamins and minerals. Announcement: Company recall announcement dated March 18, 2016 (archived here). What was recalled: All lots of the following 12 oz. Fromm Gold canned dog foods:

• Chicken Pate, Code #11893
  • Chicken & Duck, Code #11895
  • Salmon & Chicken Pate, Code #11891

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   Shouldn't this be posted in Pet Lovers instead of Wellness?  You might want to ask the moderators to move it.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

This is only the second time Fromm has had a recall.  The first was in 2016.

March 2016

Cause: Inadequate levels of vitamins and minerals. Announcement: Company recall announcement dated March 18, 2016 (archived here). What was recalled: All lots of the following 12 oz. Fromm Gold canned dog foods:

• Chicken Pate, Code #11893
  • Chicken & Duck, Code #11895
  • Salmon & Chicken Pate, Code #11891

2 times is TO MANY TIMES   and innocent pets lives taken or made very ill.   If what you make is pet food... beware of anything you are adding either too much of or not enough of.... 

Respected Contributor

The company is closed today so I will call first thing tomorrow. I was afraid to give my dog this food this morning after reading this so I ran out to my local pet store and they recommened Against the Grain, Shredded Beef with Gravy.  I gave it to her and she gobbled it up so fast.  Large chunks of beef, vegetables and grain free.  However, I did not want to keep running out to the pet store (I bought the last 10 cans until they get a delivery next week) so I went online and ordered it. It is very hard to find and with shipping very expensive but I wanted to have something until this is cleared up.  She does love this new food though.  

What do you feed your pups that is grain free?  I can only give her beef or pork, no chicken. 

Never had a problem with Fromm and her check-ups are always great.   Have been using this brand for the past 5-1/2 years.

Thank you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesallanimals wrote:

The company is closed today so I will call first thing tomorrow. I was afraid to give my dog this food this morning after reading this so I ran out to my local pet store and they recommened Against the Grain, Shredded Beef with Gravy.  I gave it to her and she gobbled it up so fast.  Large chunks of beef, vegetables and grain free.  However, I did not want to keep running out to the pet store (I bought the last 10 cans until they get a delivery next week) so I went online and ordered it. It is very hard to find and with shipping very expensive but I wanted to have something until this is cleared up.  She does love this new food though.  

What do you feed your pups that is grain free?  I can only give her beef or pork, no chicken. 

Never had a problem with Fromm and her check-ups are always great.   Have been using this brand for the past 5-1/2 years.

Thank you.

@lovesallanimals   I've always felt like Fromm was an excellent food, too.  This was a voluntary recall that they will correct.  Did you check the lot #'s on your cans of Fromm to see if they were among the cans that were in the recall?  You can go to frommfamily dot com to read about the recall and the affected lots.

I rely on Dog Food Advisor for information on dog foods.  They give Against The Grain five stars, which is the highest they give.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals   I see that you hearted my post before I edited it.  I edited it to add this about checking for the lot #'s on your food.

My post with edited info:

I've always felt like Fromm was an excellent food, too.  This was a voluntary recall that they will correct.  Did you check the lot #'s on your cans of Fromm to see if they were among the cans that were in the recall?  You can go to frommfamily dog com to read about the recall and the affected lots.

I rely on Dog Food Advisor for information on dog foods.  They give Against The Grain five stars, which is the highest they give.  

-Henry David Thoreau