Honored Contributor

Recall of Fresh Express and Publix Salad Kits

[ Edited ]
Respected Contributor

Re: Recall of Fresh Express Salad Kits

@Mindy D  I bought bagged Dole salad with iceberg lettuce, carrots, & purple cabbage yesterday. I haven't had fresh salad for over 3 years, & have worried about their frequent recalls due to bacteria. I washed it, but idk if I'll ever feel secure about eating bagged salad.

As always, I appreciate your posts on recalls.

Honored Contributor

Re: Recall of Fresh Express Salad Kits

@Desert Lily wrote:

@Mindy D  I bought bagged Dole salad with iceberg lettuce, carrots, & purple cabbage yesterday. I haven't had fresh salad for over 3 years, & have worried about their frequent recalls due to bacteria. I washed it, but idk if I'll ever feel secure about eating bagged salad.

As always, I appreciate your posts on recalls.

@Desert Lily @I feel the same way you do. I'm missing my salads. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Recall of Fresh Express and Publix Salad Kits

Working on the theory that some careful choices of bagged veggies is better than no veggies, I do buy some bagged.  I do not buy kits that include dressings or other toppings.  Just prepped veggies which show a date that makes me feel I'll actually use what I buy; I reject any bags that already show wilted or browning pieces.

Does this insure no risk?  I'd say no, but if I were to try to prioritize the risks I face often, food risks from what I shop for would not be near the top of my list. 

Esteemed Contributor

Started my own lettuce.  Easy to just  buy plants or start by seed in  trays .

Honored Contributor

Store brand salad kits were the Five-Point Freebie at Giant this week, but I didn't go for it.  Eating one would make me sick even if nothing was wrong with it.  There have been so many incidents with bagged salads.