Honored Contributor

Recall. Frozen Organic Strawberries and Frozen Fruit Blend. Possible Health risk

[ Edited ]

I'm getting ready to check the bags I have in my freezer. This is related to an Outbreak. Below is quoted from the FDA page on this recall.

https://tools.cdc.gov/podcasts/download.asp?m=316422&c=734255

Updated - Scenic Fruit Company Recalls Frozen Organic Strawberries and Frozen Organic Tropical Blend Because of Possible Health Risk

When a company announces a recall, market withdrawal, or safety alert, the FDA posts the company's announcement as a public service. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.

View Product Photo

Summary

Company Announcement Date: March 16, 2023 FDA Publish Date: March 17, 2023 Product Type: Food & Beverages Reason for Announcement:
Hepatitis A
Company Name: Scenic Fruit Company Brand Name:
Simply Nature, Vital Choice and others
Product Description:
Frozen Organic Strawberries and fruit blend

Company Announcement

‘The company has issued a correction to the previous announcement’.

March 17, 2023, this press release is updated to include the states that Aldi sold Simply Nature frozen organic strawberries.

Scenic Fruit Company of Gresham, Oregon is recalling frozen organic strawberries sold to Costco, Aldi, KeHE, Vital Choice Seafood, PCC Community Markets and frozen organic tropical blend sold to Trader Joe’s due to an outbreak of Hepatitis A illnesses.

Hepatitis A is a contagious liver disease that results from exposure to the Hepatitis A virus, including from food. It can range from a mild illness lasting a few weeks to a serious illness lasting several months. In rare cases, particularly consumers who have a pre-existing severe illness or are immune compromised, Hepatitis A infection can progress to liver failure.

Illness occurs within 15 to 50 days of exposure and includes fatigue, abdominal pain, jaundice, abnormal liver tests, dark urine and pale stool. Hepatitis A vaccination can prevent illness if given within two weeks of exposure to a contaminated food. Persons who may have consumed affected product should consult with their health care professional or local health department to determine if a vaccination is appropriate, and consumers with symptoms of Hepatitis A should contact their health care professionals or the local health department immediately.

The following products are subject to this recall. The lot codes and best by dates are found on the back of each bag (see attached pictures below):

Brand Name Product Name Net Wt. UPC Best By DatesBest If Use DatesBest Before Date Distributed in States
Simply NatureOrganic Strawberries24 oz.40991002562226/14/2024Arizona,
Arkansas,
California,
Illinois, Iowa,
Michigan,
Minnesota,
Missouri, North
Dakota, South
Dakota, Ohio,
Wisconsin
Vital ChoiceOrganic Strawberries16 oz.8342970050245/20/2024Washington
Kirkland SignatureOrganic Strawberries4 lbs.9661914040410/8/2024Alaska, Idaho, Montana,
Oregon, Utah, Washington.
Made WithOrganic Strawberries10 oz.81434302139011/20/2024Illinois, Maryland
PCC Community
Markets
Organic Strawberries32 oz.2282710946910/29/2024Washington
Trader Joe'sOrganic Tropical Fruit
Blend Pineapple,
Bananas, Strawberries &
Mango
16 oz0051191904/25/24
05/12/24
05/23/24
05/30/24
06/07/24
Nationwide

Although Hepatitis A has not been detected on this product, out of an abundance of caution, consumers should stop consuming the product and return it to their local store for a refund. The company has ceased the production and distribution of the product as FDA and the company continue their investigation as to what caused the problem.

All inventories of the affected lot should be removed from sale. Consumers who have purchased the products are urged to destroy or return it to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at customer.service@scenicfruit.com

FDA Outbreak Advisory

Organic Strawberries Hepatitis A Outbreak | CDC

Company Contact Information

Consumers: Scenic Fruit Company customer.service@scenicfruit.com
Trusted Contributor

Re: Recall. Frozen Strawberries. Possible hepatitis contamination

What brand

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you @Mindy D .  My Walmart frozen strawberries are thankfully not on this list.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoesnbags wrote:

Thank you @Mindy D .  My Walmart frozen strawberries are thankfully not on this list.

@shoesnbags @Hold off eating for a couple of days. I've seen recalls from the same supplier, but sold at different stores than originally

noted, not show up in recalls until days later. 

Honored Contributor

@Danielle46 @See my post now. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@shoesnbags @Hold off eating for a couple of days. I've seen recalls from thesame supplier, but sold at different stores than originally

oted, not show up in recalls until days later. 

Uhhhh, I ate some yesterday!! Smiley Frustrated

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

Too cheap here to pay extra for organic anything..........it's a fuzzy world to me.  real manure for chem lab product?

Recall....Recall  Like free range chickens....like to know what they are eating before I eat them!

Honored Contributor

Re: Recall. Frozen Organic Strawberries and Frozen Fruit Blend. Possible Hepatitis A contamination

Thanks for sharing. 

Aldi's carries the Simply Nature brand. Does not list Ok. though. I never buy the strawberries because IMO they don't taste like strawberries. I buy 5-6 bags of the blueberries if they have them every time I go to Aldi's. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Recall. Frozen Organic Strawberries and Frozen Fruit Blend. Possible Hepatitis A contamination

@Nightowlz wrote:

Thanks for sharing. 

Aldi's carries the Simply Nature brand. Does not list Ok. though. I never buy the strawberries because IMO they don't taste like strawberries. I buy 5-6 bags of the blueberries if they have them every time I go to Aldi's. 

@Nightowlz @Amazon Fresh carries a great brand of frozen strawberries. They're big and sweet. I use them in smoothies since I'm sick of throwing away moldy strawberries. I think the brand is Cascadian Farms.

Honored Contributor

I have a bag of these Costco frozen organic strawberries in my freezer right now... the lot number does not match the one they list so I will eat them... it  is a new bag I just bought before the recall and figure that they will not have them for a while... glad I have them!