Honored Contributor

Really interesting discussion about Probiotics

[ Edited ]

I heard this on NPR and thought it was really interesting. It really makes alot of sense and backs up what I have been told by many doctors and scientists over the years about probiotics and also what I know about the way microbes work in our bodies.

I know many people take probiotic supplements and eat yogurt for the supposed health benefits of the bacteria they contain, which it sounds like most of it just goes right through our systems without effectively establishing themselves in our intestines and stomach. 

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/08/09/489171611/how-the-microbes-inside-us-went-from-e...

Just food for thought! Bad Pun Alert Smiley Face, Emoticon

Honored Contributor

Re: Really interesting discussion about Probiotics

Just go the whole foods route.

Much, much cheaper, to boot!

image.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I bought a probiotic product for the first time last week, when I was getting an antibiotic prescription filled for my husband.  It seems to be the routine thing now...to take a probiotic at the same time as an antibiotic?

I haven't thought about taking them at any other time.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

I heard this on NPR and thought it was really interesting. It really makes alot of sense and backs up what I have been told by many doctors and scientists over the years about probiotics and also what I know about the way microbes work in our bodies.

I know many people take probiotic supplements and eat yogurt for the supposed health benefits of the bacteria they contain, which it sounds like most of it just goes right through our systems without effectively establishing themselves in our intestines and stomach. 

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/08/09/489171611/how-the-microbes-inside-us-went-from-e...

Just food for thought! Bad Pun Alert Smiley Face, Emoticon

@HappyDaze

From close to home!      Emoti too cute!

I've heard that Kimchee is a good source, assuming you can get past the smell.  Was on a Japanese cruise liner once and it was served EVERY meal.

I reading an interesting book The Prime by Kulreet Chaudhary, MD Neurologist.

Unfortunately hyped as a weight loss book, but very interesting about eating for your body.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

I bought a probiotic product for the first time last week, when I was getting an antibiotic prescription filled for my husband.  It seems to be the routine thing now...to take a probiotic at the same time as an antibiotic?

I haven't thought about taking them at any other time.  

definitely do not take them at the same time as the antibiotics. For example, if he takes the antibiotics in the morning and night, take the probiotics mid day. If taken at the same time, the antibiotics will make the probiotics even less effective as they already appear to be since the antibiotics will kill pretty much all bacteria, which is what probiotics are.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze   I think we got the timing right, per ER instructions.  He took the antibiotics morning and evening and the probiotic at lunchtime. 

ETA:  by same time...I meant in the same day. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks, my kind of read.

Respected Contributor

Well, interesting article indeed!  This is one of those articles that each one of us will read differently.  I think I get results by adding a Probiotic supplement, along with eating certain foods.  I can really tell the difference in how I feel when I stay on track.  Plus, I think it helps that I have a house full of cats!!  Yes, there is a positive side of cleaning litter boxes!  I've got tons of bacteria running thru MY body!  LOL!!!!   

Honored Contributor

I think alot of people don't realize that when they take supplement pro-bios they need to take many BILLIONS not millions of the little buggers. I take 28 billion a day and prob should boost that by another 14 billion plus I take  enzymes that help the pro b's out too. I am convinced that your "heart" is in your gut!!! Happy gut, happy life!!

Respected Contributor

On the rare occasions where I need an antibiotic, my Dr. Recommends taking an Acidopholus pill.  It's much cheaper ( $5 bottle ) than probiotics and can be taken anytime.  Refrigerate after opening.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill