Honored Contributor

Thanks @hckynut for your detailed answer. ITA!

Speaking of age - my neighbor is 89. She owns a florist shop and works 6 days a week.

Two years ago she fell on ice and fractured her hip. She went to PT and was back at work in weeks.

Then this year she fell again and broke her femur. She was on the floor of her shop for almost an hour before her employees came and found her! She needed surgery and a hip replacement on that side too. She was in a rehab place for 10 days and is back to work now 3 months later and isn't even using a cane! Her doctor told her that her bone density and muscle tone was the same as someone thirty years younger. That helped her bounce back and she's again working full time.

I have another neighbor - a retired MD from India. He is in training for a Thanksgiving 8K run and has invited me to join him at 5:30 every morning. He thinks he might win his age category this year - he just turned NINETY-ONE.

Stay active...keep moving...and no matter what injury or illness befalls you - you are better off to be in shape!!!

Honored Contributor

@QVCPhobe  You are not kidding.  We don't bounce back like we used to.  I'm about to turn 55 this month and every once in a while I do something that flares up my sciatica area.  I probably described that incorrectly.  All I know is when I do something minor, like reach down to pick up something and the pain hits - I yell SCIATICA, lol.

I've learned to bend my knees more when I pick something up.  I have some stretching exercises that are supposed to help strengthen this area.

Happened 2x in July - once I know what I did, the other time I have no idea what I did.  I ratchet up like the tin man for a couple of days and then it passes.  I used to snap out of it quicker.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I sprained my back in my 40's and have had issues ever since with spasms.  In the middle of one right now.  The last two weeks muscle pain has been bad, I think because of all the rapid changes in barametric pressure.  However, back to your issue.  What helps my back spasms more than anything is the Chiropractor.  The one I go to does not "crack" your back.  I would never want to have that done.  For me he does light massage (also have fibromyalgia so can't stand heavy massage) then the electronic pads on the trigger points to loose the spasms.  I am like many others and do things I shouldn't do and my backs lets me know, but it is hard not to be able to do something that needs done or get someone to do it for you.  Sometimes you just automatically without  thinking about it do something you know you shouldn't and the back complains.  It can be very frustrating.  I have never tried steriod shots, but have friends who had them and they only works for a little while.  Also don't take pain meds.  I once had a spasm so bad it went up into my head and talk about seeing stars and hearing bells, the pain was so bad.  I went to the ER and was given a muscle relaxer.  Found out then, they are not for me - ended up later that night back in the ER and being admitted for tachycardia - no more muscle relaxers for me.  My solution is heat and the Chiropractor.  What the Chiropractor does for me is considered by Medicare as physical therapy and is not covered under Medicare by Chiropractors, but is is worth the cost to me.  Other modalities used by Chiropractors are covered by Medicare.  Perhaps one could help you.  I would be absolutely miserable without mine.

What @hckynut said about exercises for the core and back is great advice.  Too bad I didn't do that long ago.

Honored Contributor

Re: Really bad bock spasm

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

@QVCPhobe  You are not kidding.  We don't bounce back like we used to.  I'm about to turn 55 this month and every once in a while I do something that flares up my sciatica area.  I probably described that incorrectly.  All I know is when I do something minor, like reach down to pick up something and the pain hits - I yell SCIATICA, lol.

I've learned to bend my knees more when I pick something up.  I have some stretching exercises that are supposed to help strengthen this area.

Happened 2x in July - once I know what I did, the other time I have no idea what I did.  I ratchet up like the tin man for a couple of days and then it passes.  I used to snap out of it quicker.

May I suggest a foam roller...there is a variety sold right here. This one is mild: F249658.

Roll out your back and your hips every morning. If yiu are in too much pain to do it now - then wait until you are feeling better and practice, practice, practice.

When you use the correct technique -it works literally in a few minutes! I rarely need to take even an Aleve - maybe once every 3 months or so.

Honored Contributor

@terrier3  Lucky for me, the simple act of laying on the floor and drawing up my knees to my chest (plus a couple of other moves) seems to work the kink out.  

I never take anything for it because movement is key to working it out.  It doesn't help that I have a desk job - sitting is like the worst.  If I am in a constant state of motion, I'm fine.  If I sit too long, I am creaky until I move around.

I'm fine now - last time took 2 days.  I am getting ready to go outside and pick up all the walnuts that fell off the tree.  I have to remind myself, squat Bernie - better for your back and thighs.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I think there are very few people, in shape or out of shape who do not suffer from some kind of back pain once in awhile as they age. I agree to keep moving, is the key to not deteriorating, but not to over do it. I have the occasional back pain at 67, but I do Hatha yoga religiously and pilates at least 4 times a week, that seems to be keeping me flexible and on my feet. Hope you feel better soon.

Honored Contributor

The older we get, the longer it takes to heal and recover from everything, not just muscle spasms.  That's just life.

Trusted Contributor

@QVCPhobe: I can relate. I'm in my late 50's, & began having back spasms 2 yrs. ago. There are nights I can't sleep, it is so uncomfortable. My dr. ordered a muscle relaxer, but it didn't help. I've gotten in the shower, & let the hottest water I can stand beat on it. Most of the time, I just "ride it out". Hope you're feeling better soon.

Valued Contributor

I work daily on my Aero Pilates machine so I do exercise on a daily basis for strength and flexibility.  I had two auto accidents about 30 years ago and maybe they are coming back to haunt me.  I try to be careful but I just turned the wrong way in the shower and I saw stars.   The steroid pack that the doctor prescribed is really helping now.  For the past two nights I did a light workout on the Pilates machine. No rebounding yet.  I have an appointment with the doctor on Tuesday, but I may not need to go.  The spasm was in the waistline area. I could not bend over or walk without much pain.  The worst time was when I tried to get out of bed.  I hurt so much I missed the James Taylor concert Tuesday because I could barely walk.  It does take longer to heal now. At least that what all my doctors tell me now.  Thank you all for your support.

Honored Contributor

@QVCPhobe

Glad to hear you do exercise with you pilates machine. My PremierXP machine got ruined in our sewage basement flood damage. I used it along with my other machines, but did not use it for anything to do with my back.

Do you do specific Flexibility exercises for your rear side muscle groups? Pilates is certainly a good way to exercise, but my pilates routines has nothing to do with my back and keeping it's flexibility. I did use it however to supplement my abdominal (core muscle) strength.

Sorry to hear about your accidents and the damage they may have caused. Has anything abnormal shown up in your MRI when it comes to a spine issue? I can't remember all the details of your opening post. 

Just curious to know if you have a specific spinal issue involving vertebrae injury/disc or nerve issues. A couple months ago I bought a Teeter Inversion Table. I got off of the meds that prevented me from inverting, so I bought this addition to help keep my back at my desired comfort level for my, now regular, ice skating sessions.

This table I know is helping in addition to my other core and backside specific exercises. Don't know if you ice skate, but I can tell you, if you have a sore back, skating is jot fun. Glad to hear back from you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)