Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reaction to Pneumovax23 Vaccine

@NickNack  I hope that your pain has subsided.  I received my first ever pneumonia shot in November and the pain was unbearable.  @DrakesMomma posted about SIRVA, which is severe pain resulting from a vaccination.  If the pain continues, please see your doctor asap.  Do not wait like I did, as I am still feeling the effects.  I am sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutI have never had any kinds of problems with the punemonia vaccines either.

I get two.  One is Prevnar 13 and the other is likely the Pneumovax23.  They are supposed to be given one year apart.  I always get them because I have bronchial problems/asthma and more. 

@NickNackhang in there.  The pain in the arm is worth being protected from bacterial punemonia strains.  These vaccines don't offer protection from viral pnuemonia.....

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I got a pneumonia shot years ago .... never had a reaction that I recall.

In 2019, got a senior flu shot and worst reaction ever.  I would have rather had the flu.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I recently turned 65 and got my Pneumonovax 23 Vaccine for pneumonia on Wednesday (two days ago).  My arm was very sore and seems to get more sore every day.  I can't lie on that side in bed.  

Last night I threw up bile an hour after eating 1/2 a chicken salad sandwich.  I felt awful and went to bed at 8:00 p.m. after taking a Zofran for nausea.  I didn't get sick again, and I think the Zofran made me go to sleep.  

I woke up at 2:00 a.m. due to pain in my arm and throbbing toes in my left foot.  The throbbing was awful.  I moaned out loud most of the night.  I took two Tylenol which didn't help.  I got up about an hour later and took two Aleve, which I think did help.  I finally went to sleep.  I didn't wake up until 9:00 this morning.  I usually get up at 7:00 or 7:30.

I'm thinking that all of this could be a reaction to the pneumonia vaccine.  Obviously the sore arm is.  I didn't expect a reaction except possibly a sore arm.  Has anyone else had a bad reaction to this vaccine?

@NickNack 

Hello,  sorry this happened to you!  

I had a similar reaction to Prevnar 13, not the same, I know, but it made me wary.  If you are not any better by tomorrow

you might call and speak with whoever is taking call for your PCP.

Be Safe ~ Be Well 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Thank you @Drythe .  I'm better today except for my extremely sore arm.  It almost seems to be getting worse instead of better.  It's very strange.  I've never had an arm so sore after a vaccine.

My doctor told me I needed to get the Prevnar 13 vaccine in a year.  I'm dreading it now.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I recently turned 65 and got my Pneumonovax 23 Vaccine for pneumonia on Wednesday (two days ago).  My arm was very sore and seems to get more sore every day.  I can't lie on that side in bed.  

Last night I threw up bile an hour after eating 1/2 a chicken salad sandwich.  I felt awful and went to bed at 8:00 p.m. after taking a Zofran for nausea.  I didn't get sick again, and I think the Zofran made me go to sleep.  

I woke up at 2:00 a.m. due to pain in my arm and throbbing toes in my left foot.  The throbbing was awful.  I moaned out loud most of the night.  I took two Tylenol which didn't help.  I got up about an hour later and took two Aleve, which I think did help.  I finally went to sleep.  I didn't wake up until 9:00 this morning.  I usually get up at 7:00 or 7:30.

I'm thinking that all of this could be a reaction to the pneumonia vaccine.  Obviously the sore arm is.  I didn't expect a reaction except possibly a sore arm.  Has anyone else had a bad reaction to this vaccine?

I would let your Dr. know, and I would not get it again.  My hubby's Dr. insisted he get that and he had COPD.  He ended up in the hospital and never recovered.   Listen to your body.  This is why I will NEVER take the Covid Vaccine or the Flu or Phneumonia shot. 
Honored Contributor

My pastor, who is 68 just mentioned in church yesterday that he had a reaction as well, a very sore puffy arm that took 2 days to go down and just general not feeling well lik ehe had the flu. It did subside for him within 48 hours though........, but he said he never had a reaction to any other vaccine like this one!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

My pastor, who is 68 just mentioned in church yesterday that he had a reaction as well, a very sore puffy arm that took 2 days to go down and just general not feeling well lik ehe had the flu. It did subside for him within 48 hours though........, but he said he never had a reaction to any other vaccine like this one!

@CANDLEQUEEN  and everyone, It is now going on 7 days and my arm still hurts, is pink, swollen and hard.  It doesn't hurt as bad as it did at first though.  Otherwise, I have felt fine after the first incident.

I called the Pharmacist yesterday, and she said a reaction like this was not that uncommon.  She said pneumonnia vaccines and tetanus were the worst.  She said she could barely move her arm for two weeks after her tetanus shot.  That did reassure me, although I wasn't really worried about it.  I had asked this question to see if others had a similar reaction.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack   both DH and myself had that vaccine and had no reaction at all. 

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN  and everyone, It is now going on 7 days and my arm still hurts, is pink, swollen and hard.  It doesn't hurt as bad as it did at first though.  Otherwise, I have felt fine after the first incident.

I called the Pharmacist yesterday, and she said a reaction like this was not that uncommon.  She said pneumonnia vaccines and tetanus were the worst.  She said she could barely move her arm for two weeks after her tetanus shot.  That did reassure me, although I wasn't really worried about it.  I had asked this question to see if others had a similar reaction.

@NickNack I am glad you are better! I had years ago a bad reaction from a tetanus shot, but I was also pregnant, so I chalked it up to that, but my arm was swollen for about 24 hours and really really sore! Everyone is different and I am glad you are better from yours!