Honored Contributor

Reaction to Pneumovax23 Vaccine

I recently turned 65 and got my Pneumonovax 23 Vaccine for pneumonia on Wednesday (two days ago).  My arm was very sore and seems to get more sore every day.  I can't lie on that side in bed.  

Last night I threw up bile an hour after eating 1/2 a chicken salad sandwich.  I felt awful and went to bed at 8:00 p.m. after taking a Zofran for nausea.  I didn't get sick again, and I think the Zofran made me go to sleep.  

I woke up at 2:00 a.m. due to pain in my arm and throbbing toes in my left foot.  The throbbing was awful.  I moaned out loud most of the night.  I took two Tylenol which didn't help.  I got up about an hour later and took two Aleve, which I think did help.  I finally went to sleep.  I didn't wake up until 9:00 this morning.  I usually get up at 7:00 or 7:30.

I'm thinking that all of this could be a reaction to the pneumonia vaccine.  Obviously the sore arm is.  I didn't expect a reaction except possibly a sore arm.  Has anyone else had a bad reaction to this vaccine?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Reaction to Pneumovax23 Vaccine

[ Edited ]

@NickNack 

Sorry to see you are having so many issues after this shot. I have had several Pneumonia vaccines over the years. I have had bacterial pneumonia 3 times over the decades, and Aspiration Pneumonia with my 1st heart attack. Throw in my more recent punctured lung! My lungs are pretty scarred.

Can't tell you the exact name of the vaccines, but I do know from my Pulmonologist, that they were not all the same. 

I have never had any type of a serious issue  like you have mentioned, from any type of shot I have ever taken, or given to myself. The worst residual? That would be when I had to myself a shot 2 times a day with Lovenox.

Hope this clears up for you, but should it continue, you know what to do from there. Best to you,

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I also had a reaction. Took maybe 3-4 days to feel better. My arm was also extremely sore. It all disappeared .

Call your md if you're very concerned.

Occasional Contributor

I had that same vaccine last year.  Oh my....I was so sick from it.  I get pneumonia vaccines every 5 years, instead of 10 years, as I have compromised lungs.  Doc said this new pneumonia vaccine was the best.  It may be the best but my arm was really sore for 2 weeks and sick to my stomach for about 5 days.  This extra strong vaccine packs a punch!  Hang in there, it will pass!

Esteemed Contributor

Never had any problems with this vaccine nor any other vaccine.

Never saw any reaction such as yours with any patients .I administered this vaccine to many patients at a Doctors office.

Valued Contributor

@NickNack thank you for sharig your experience and I hope you feel better soon.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

@NickNack To report this problem directly you can also go to https://vaers.hhs.gov/reportevent.html

You may call the VAERS number 1-800-822-7967

Esteemed Contributor

The pneumonia vaccine is the only one I've ever had a bad reaction to.  My arm was VERY painful and hurt to move it for about 36 hours.  All I could do was try to keep it immobile, otherwise my entire arm hurt.  It was the worst when I went to bed, because I could not move without it hurting.

Respected Contributor

I don't know the specific pneumonia vaccine I had but only reaction was sore arm for several days.  I think you should talk with your doc.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

@NickNack   That was really terrible.  I've had that shot and no reaction, maybe a sore arm, can't remember.  Next time you are at your doctor you could mention it.