Super Contributor

Re: Reaction to Canual Epidural Injection

I don't think my primary care doctor will do much. He loves to prescribe predisone. 20 mg for 5 days , no tapering off. For the first two days off predisone, I feel lousy. Fatigue, body aches, and just want to lay around. I will call pain management and try to move up my appointment. I would have to see NP. I was very anxious about this procedure and know numerous people that have great results or it didn't work at all. I wasn't expecting to have to take more pain meds, 2 days of no sleep, and slight weight gain. The weight will come off and I am sleeping now. I am not bed bound. I can do household chores and went grocery shopping but I certainly don't feel like running around town. I have had only two other medical procedures. They were at least 15 years ago. It may just take me longer to heal than others.

Honored Contributor

@texassunflower wrote:

Has any body experienced an unusual reaction to a steriod epidural injection? I had a canal epidural injection for bulging discs and tailbone on Wednesday. I didn't make this decision lightly and put it off for a long time. I have felt off ever since. I didn't sleep for two days, weight gain, and more burning pain at base of spine. Today is 4 th day since procedure and still experiencing pain at injection site. I feel more like myself today but this is not what I was expecting. No reduction in burning pain at base of spine and having to take more medication. I have called pain management numerous times and told to see primary care doctor. I feel like I have been hit by a truck. I was told weight gain, not sleeping, and feeling off was not a side effect of injection. I am to continue with pain meds and see NP in two weeks. I am terrified I have done more harm than good to my back. I know it takes time for the steriods to work. I think I am sensitive to steriods. If I don't see results, NP will probably recommend another injection. I did this procedure to have more of a normal social life. I can't sit for more than 30 minutes. This is day 4 and I have not resumed normal activities. I was assured that I would be fine the day after procedure. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Make an appointment with your PCD. Let him or her check the injection site for infection or some type of allergic reaction or problem with the injection itself. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've personally experienced unpleasant side-effects from steroids, no matter how they've been given--orally or by injection.

I've experienced a rapid heart, increased urination, inability to sleep--especially the first night--feeling hyper, and an extreme appetite/hunger, and additional weight gain, plus that puffiness in the face. 

They would also interfere with my periods, too.

As for the epidurals, it would also take a little while before my pain would reduce, and the pain doctor would remind me of that--not to expect instant results.

He said that it's normal to feel immediate relief from the effects of the numbing medication that's given along with the steroid in the epidural injection, and once that wears off, we have to wait for the steroid to take effect, and to give that some time.

Editing to add that this has all been my own personal experience after receiving steroids/epidural injections, and everyone's own experiences may differ from mine.

Super Contributor

@Toppers3  Thank you for your response. I called this morning and was able to move my appointment to Wednesday morning. That will be one week after the injection. The injection site is not infected. I wasn't expecting increased pain and having to take more pain meds. I think I am sensitive to steriods. I am a nervous Nellie and I am probably jumping the gun but I wasn't prepared for these side effects. I hope eventually the pain subsides and I get relief. I will have to think long and hard before I do another injection. 

Valued Contributor

I am a veteran of epidural injections- caudal, lumbar and cervical. At each of my injections the doc reminds me that pain commonly increases for a few days after the injection and to use ice for the first 24 to 48 hours then decide if you need to ice or use heat for pain management.

I am someone who always has side effects from my injections.  I am always excessively hungry, have difficulty sleeping and am generally witchier than normal. My neighbor is the exact same way.

I am glad that you had your appointment moved up. Please let us know how it goes.