Esteemed Contributor

Re: Radioactive I-131 for Hot Thyroid Nodules

Thank you for starting this thread, @tansy.  

My mother and both maternal aunts have thyroid problems, as well as other relatives on that side of my family (not sure about my dad's side).  I'll be going for blood tests next week.  My primary care doc thinks I may have a thyroid problem, but my levels came back in the normal range last time.  We'll see what happens this time.  

My doctors are concerned about my heart rate (high) and blood pressure (low).  I'm on enough anti-anxiety medication now that I shouldn't still have such a fast heart rate if it's "just anxiety."  I feel pretty bad, and have been feeling bad for quite some time.  The worst part is the dizzy, light-headed feeling. 

Do you mind if I ask what your symptoms are?  

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

I had it about 25 years ago, administered by the "best endocrinologist in the county".

So I still have nodes and a functioning thyroid lobe, and I take Armour Thyroid, NOT Synthroid, because I feel much better doing so.

Best tip- if you don't feel well, or gain weight, or are too hot or too cold, ASK QUESTIONS.

Super Contributor

tansy, PLEASE read info about the RAI procedure. It's not the isolation or the trestment itself that is problematic. The issue is, that it's not the thyroid that's faulty. The thyroid is the victim of a systemic issue. If you nuke the thyroid you risk eye complications and leg issues. I have Graves disease, have been taking medication (Methimazole) for about 2 years. Have gradually reduced from 40 mg per day to 5 mg per day, at which point my endo now considers the Graves to be in remission. Felt terrible at first with severe Graves (also have nodules which have not grown in 2 years), then after abut 6 weeks the meds kicked in and I feel fine ever since. No weight gain at all. Please do plenty of research before you embark on RAI treatment. Meds are a viable course of treatment and are reversible, RAI is not reversible.

Super Contributor

mistri, not tansy but I can answer for myself: symptoms of Graves disease (hyperthyroid) were exhaustion, increased heart rate (139 resting when I went to the ER), weakness, inability to walk more than about 100 ft. with out resting, extreme irritableness (google Graves Rage), shaky hands, odd peeling skin on my index fingers, weight loss.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

My mother and both maternal aunts have thyroid problems, as well as other relatives on that side of my family (not sure about my dad's side).  I'll be going for blood tests next week.  My primary care doc thinks I may have a thyroid problem, but my levels came back in the normal range last time.  We'll see what happens this time.  

My doctors are concerned about my heart rate (high) and blood pressure (low).  I'm on enough anti-anxiety medication now that I shouldn't still have such a fast heart rate if it's "just anxiety."  I feel pretty bad, and have been feeling bad for quite some time.  The worst part is the dizzy, light-headed feeling. 

My TSH levels are very low, @mistriTsquirrel, and an ultrasound shows the so-called hot nodules but, honestly, I don't have any symptoms that couldn't be related to other issues that I have.  

I do do not have Grave's disease.

Esteemed Contributor

@PodyPo wrote:

mistri, not tansy but I can answer for myself: symptoms of Graves disease (hyperthyroid) were exhaustion, increased heart rate (139 resting when I went to the ER), weakness, inability to walk more than about 100 ft. with out resting, extreme irritableness (google Graves Rage), shaky hands, odd peeling skin on my index fingers, weight loss.

Thanks, @PodyPo!!  My symptoms are usually consistent with hypo rather than hyper, but I seem to be coming out of some sort of illness, and I have been having hyper symptoms.

I got sick towards the end of last month.  I thought I had a virus.  My throat felt swollen and I felt like I had the flu.  After my room started spinning one morning when I rolled over in bed, I scheduled an appointment with my doctor.  She took my blood pressure and heart rate many times, and said she wanted to test my thyroid.  I'm confused about what could be wrong, because I usually have hypo symptoms.  Now I'm having symptoms like what you have listed, but I feel like they are dissipating.

I guess we'll see what the blood tests say.

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

My TSH levels are very low, @mistriTsquirrel, and an ultrasound shows the so-called hot nodules but, honestly, I don't have any symptoms that couldn't be related to other issues that I have.  

I do do not have Grave's disease.

@tansy  I feel like thyroid issues are generally confusing, because the symptoms could be so many things.

Clearly you have something going on there.  Hopefully more people will see this thread and will share their experiences with the treatment you're considering.  I can understand why you're questioning it; it doesn't sound like a treatment that's clearly a good idea.