Honored Contributor

Keep in mind that idiosyncrasies with your fingernails can be a barometer for internal health issues, especially when the ridges are horizontal rather than vertical.  Changes in color can also indicate health issues.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Yes, are the ridges horizontal or vertical?- vertical are more likely associated with aging and horizontal are more indicative of a  systemic problem...

Super Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

Keep in mind that idiosyncrasies with your fingernails can be a barometer for internal health issues, especially when the ridges are horizontal rather than vertical.  Changes in color can also indicate health issues.

important to repeat this imho.

Honored Contributor

@Maineblueberries 

I have had bad nails all of my life.

Even worse in the last few years.

Diagnosed with an autoimmune skin condition.

Started taking Andrew Lessman’s Marine Collagen Paptides last year. Started supplementing with collagen and bovine protein last month.

My fingernails are growing! They are growing long and strong.

Hair is better.

I’m adding boron for stronger bones and teeth.

HTH

PS I tried buffing; allergic to polish and biotin; nothing overcame the dryness/thinness/peeling, etc. nothing

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@Maineblueberries Ridged nails are the result of nutrional deficiencies. I don't see how topical products would help except for buffing and polishing.  A friend of mine who had them bad found out late in life she had celiac disease, which prevents nutrient absorption.  B12 supplements do not have the same effect as B12 shots.  Best of luck and good health!

Frequent Contributor

@SilleeMee  Thank you so much.  I'll look for one locally!