Frequent Contributor

I have ridges on my fingernails.  Does anyone know of anything that would eliminate them?

Honored Contributor

Re: RIDGED FINGERNAILS

[ Edited ]

Mix lemon juice and iodine solution,and apply to nails with ridges three times a day.  It will take a while because the nail has to grow out.

You can also purchase a nail buffer block that has material on it that will gently buff the ridges out.  I buy one at Walmart that has four different textures on it....from coarse to very fine.  Be careful that you do not remove too much nail material or you will have thin nails prone to breaking and chipping.

EF4E5F09-B292-4889-BF92-F3263308C03E.jpeg

If you wear nail polish, you can buy a base coat  that is made to level out the nails.  It helps hide the ridges by filling in the low points.

You also make sure you are getting the proper vitamins, minerals and protein everyday.  Some ridges are due to age, but some are due to diet deficiencies.

Trusted Contributor

I really like a product from Sally Beauty...it is a chamois buffer on a plastic handle.  It is great for gently buffing out ridges.  Just bought one today for backup.  I never want to be without it because they sell out fast.  

Valued Contributor

That is so helpful.  Thank you very much.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I had ridges in my nails and started using Perfect Forumula  and Pro Strong nail products. Both lines have proble solving products as well as nail products. I started with the nutrient or moisturizer product and then with the clean coat. My ridges are gone now. Hope you get the same results as I did.

Valued Contributor

@Fressa  I will try them.  Thak you so much.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

One more product that I use is the T.I.P.S sesame oil. Just a drop around the entire nail bed and on the top of the nail. It absorbs in a second or two.This is also used for cuticle issues but if your nails are lacking mositure (which some ridged nails are) then this helps.

It's all a matter of which product is going to work for your budget, needs and time. Hope one of them work for you. 

Esteemed Contributor

Could very well be a vitamin deficiency 🙂

Honored Contributor

Re: RIDGED FINGERNAILS

[ Edited ]

Mostly aging causes the ridges. It just happens and often times gets worse as the years go by. Buffing them out is what I do. I bought one of these Emjoi tools and it works really well. You get a rough roller and also a buffing roller that gives shine to your nails. 

Emjoi Micro Mani

images.jpg

Honored Contributor

Lemon juice and iodine?  What will that do?  I'm thinking of the dyeing your nails orange problem.  I'm allergic to nail polish so I need something that works on the nail bed.