Esteemed Contributor

Snapdragons, good for you and your DH!

My dad died of a heart attack at age 56 (he was a smoker), and my brother had a heart attack and quadruple bypass surgery at age 60 - he's now 76 and doing fine. I lost a sister-in-law to lung cancer, and am very shortly going to lose my brother-in-law to the same thing.

My risk factors were quite high due to cholesterol numbers and smoking. And at one time I worked as an HR manager for a large cigarette company and got them free! A recipe for disaster! When my brother had his heart attack, it finally scared me bad enough to quit cold turkey. My son was my rock -- whenever he would come in and I was at the end of my rope, slamming cabinet doors and doing other things we won't mention ({#emotions_dlg.w00t}), he helped me to calm down and kept encouraging me. I was done after 30 years of it!

And it was the absolute best thing I've ever done for myself - it's been almost 17 years. If you are successful, I can't even tell you the freedom you will feel. So keep your eye on the "prize", your health, and I wish you the best of luck! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Valued Contributor

I quit smoking when I became pregnant years ago but my husband still smoked. He tried the nicotine patches and that gave him the most awful nightmares.

What worked for him was having a laser treatment behind his ear. He had two treatments and it worked.

Honored Contributor

Hardest think I ever did back in 1997 and gave up sugar colas at the same time. I decided if I was going to be in pain might as well do it all at once.
I still miss smoking but not the worry over my health or where and when would I be able to have a cigarette when I was shopping. Good luck!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

I wanted to come back and update, I am still not smoking! I quit on Dec 1,2014 and have had to talk myself out of cigs a couple of times, I got as far as lighting the lighter and then came back to my senses! E-Cigs are still a big help and have stepped down from 24% nicotine to 12% nicotine. I really think I can quit this time! Thanks to all for your kind words and encouragement!

Esteemed Contributor

Snap, I was so thrilled to see your post this morning. I am so very happy for you. With a month gone by and your positive attitude, you are definitely on your way. I knew after a month that I could do it and you will, too !! Woo Hoo !! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Snap, you can do it. You will be $aving big bucks!, your health will improve, your lungs start getting better right away. This will probably mean le$$ doctor bills in your future and you'll be breathing better and you will lose the coughing. Honestly, it's one of the best choices you and your husband can make for yourselves. Glad you're doing it together!! Best wishes, you can do it, have no doubts.

Esteemed Contributor

I quit cold turkey, for me it was the only way. I know two people who quit using the patches.

Super Contributor

Snapdragon!!! Congratulations! I am so happy you posted back to let us know how your doing. With e-cig help I just celebrated my 1st year. Your on your way now

Frequent Contributor
Hello, I started smoking at fifteen years old. On August 2 2007 at age 45 I had a massive heart attack at 3 o'clock in the morning. I feel into my bathtub and was unresponsive 98 percent of the time. At the hospital I went directly into surgery when it was discovered I had a 100 percent blockage. A stent was put in and I had the defibrilator three times. 18 monthes later a second stent was put in. All blamed on cigarettes. I lost the urge that day and even though my hubby smokes, I never had the urge again. Good luck everyone!!
Frequent Contributor
Hello, I started smoking at fifteen years old. On August 2 2007 at age 45 I had a massive heart attack at 3 o'clock in the morning. I feel into my bathtub and was unresponsive 98 percent of the time. At the hospital I went directly into surgery when it was discovered I had a 100 percent blockage. A stent was put in and I had the defibrilator three times. 18 monthes later a second stent was put in. All blamed on cigarettes. I lost the urge that day and even though my hubby smokes, I never had the urge again. Good luck everyone!!